Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Retry behaviour on bpbackup 6.5.1

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi,

HP-UX 11.11 Master

Various client OS's 

Since we upgraded from 5.1MP2 to 6.5.1 over the weekend we are seeing strange behaviour when client backups sporadically fail with status 26. (We are investigating why we are getting these. We didnt get them before the upgrade)

We have backup retries configured at 2 so a backup stream will attempt a second time upon failure.

We are using bpbackup -i via externally scheduled scripts.

When the client backup retries it does so with a completely different schedule !

ie we initially ran a DIFF and the retry came in with a YEAR-END schedule.

I am placing a call as we speak but would like to know if anybody else has seen this.

We have disabled retries until we get a fix.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

BackupsVA
Level 3
I had the exact same problem when I went from 6.0 MP4 to 6.5.1 in May. Our backups would fail with socket errors and the retry job would be our yearly schedule. Unfortunately this is a bug in 6.5.1 and is resolved in 6.5.2. Once we upgraded to 6.5.2 the problem disappeared.

Doctorski
Level 5

Ok thanks for that. Still waiting for info from support.

We are also getting sporadic 13, 14, and 26 errors which we also didnt see before, maybe the occasioanal 41.

Did you see this also ?

BackupsVA
Level 3

Yes. Local servers were giving the 25s and our remote sites gave mostly status 13s for some reason. Veritas 6.5 has been the upgrade from hell. We still have a memory leak problem with nbemm and nbevtmgr that we are awaiting a fix on as well as issues with DSSU in this version.  

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

BackupsVA, which O/s are you on?

BackupsVA
Level 3
The Master is AIX 5.3 with two Windows 2003 media servers.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Thanks.

Does anyone know if Solaris 10 64 bit Sparc running NBU ES v6.5.2A also has a memory leak problem?

Doctorski
Level 5
Ok cheers - Thanks for the information.