cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support of Windows Server 2008 with Netbackup 6.5

nhkhj
Not applicable
Hello,

We will soon install new servers on Windows Server 2008. Does anybody know if Netbackup 6.5 or 6.5.1 support this Windows version ?

Or do we have to wait 6.5.2 in March (or even 6.5.3 in June as read in different places) ?

I don't see an official statement from Symantec. If somebody has a link or more infos...

Thanks for the feedback.

Nico
7 REPLIES 7

Stumpr2
Level 6

GSTAR wrote:
Hello,
,,, as read in different places

what other places?

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
For what it's worth, I spent about 5 minutes testing it on a Server 2008 box here, and didn't find any problems with 6.5.1, it reports the box as being Vista, but I was able to back up data.

Stumpr2
Level 6

Seth Bokelman wrote:
For what it's worth, .... but I was able to back up data.

Were you able to do a simple restore?
What about a complete OS restore like in a DR situation?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Hi Nico

The latest I heard from support was that 6.5.2 is due June. I guess 6.5.3 is delayed as well.

Regards

Nicolai

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
We hadn't tested restore yet (it was on our to-do list, and we weren't near production yet with 08) until just now, we literally had just kicked the backup off yesterday in a quick 'n dirty test.  It appears that, NBU has an incomplete copy of the files on our 08 test box, despite giving us a 0 when the backup was performed.  At this time, I'll reverse what I said, and say that pending further evidence, I wouldn't trust my data on 08 boxes to NBU at this time. :)

Stumpr2
Level 6

Seth Bokelman wrote:
We hadn't tested restore yet (it was on our to-do list, and we weren't near production yet with 08) until just now, we literally had just kicked the backup off yesterday in a quick 'n dirty test.  It appears that, NBU has an incomplete copy of the files on our 08 test box, despite giving us a 0 when the backup was performed.  At this time, I'll reverse what I said, and say that pending further evidence, I wouldn't trust my data on 08 boxes to NBU at this time. :)

Thank you.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
This is from our Symantec SE:

"The latest information I find says NBU will provide GA support for WS2008 Clients and Media Servers in the 6.5.2 release and application/db agent support following in the 6.5.3 time frame.  The target date for 6.5.2 is April/May 2008."