cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape drives on media servers

SARA_8
Level 4
I have addition 15 tape drives shared between 7 media servers to add to netbackup Zone is done between media and drives OS see tape drives Which is more effective to use config wizard to discover drives on my acs robot or adding tape drives manuall on media servers using tpconfig thank all
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

" make sure that the drives are mapped with correct path in OS and drive identiifer in ACS."
Where can I compare both paths?

this is require only when you are using the tpconfig command to configure the Drives.

scan command in media server gives you drive path in OS and drive serial number.

from ALSLS you need to get the connnected Drives identifer info and serial number.

the common output from both is serial number which will help you to identify the correct driver identifer for the drive path in OS level. by comparring both outputs.

---------

ltid requires to get restarted in media servers when  you configure the drives, when you do it from GUI, it will prompt to restart the media manager services.  and if you do it from command you would need to restart manually.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla

make sure you have SSO licence installed on all Media servers.

I would suggest you to use the GUI--> add storage devices wizard.

and select the Media servers that you you would like to configure the Drives.

its very friendly and make sure that the drives are mapped with correct path in OS and drive identiifer in ACS.

if you go with tpconfig command... you have to make sure that the drives paths in OS are corrently poining to the Drive identifiers in ACS using Serail number.

SARA_8
Level 4
Thanks .." make sure that the drives are mapped with correct path in OS and drive identiifer in ACS." Where can I compare both paths? Will discovering drive using the wizard stop media manger on the media servers?

RamNagalla

" make sure that the drives are mapped with correct path in OS and drive identiifer in ACS."
Where can I compare both paths?

this is require only when you are using the tpconfig command to configure the Drives.

scan command in media server gives you drive path in OS and drive serial number.

from ALSLS you need to get the connnected Drives identifer info and serial number.

the common output from both is serial number which will help you to identify the correct driver identifer for the drive path in OS level. by comparring both outputs.

---------

ltid requires to get restarted in media servers when  you configure the drives, when you do it from GUI, it will prompt to restart the media manager services.  and if you do it from command you would need to restart manually.

Vickie
Level 6

As suggested by Nagalla,

I would also prefer to go with GUI configuration wizards rather than go and work with command.Untill or unless you are willing to explore, learn/know how does it works with command line. If you want to explore, you can try if for a single drive to add.

In commands, as its a manual process. So you need to give all parameter by your own, while in GUI it would pick it by itself.

Below is the command with swithces can be used to add a drives.

Essential Switches :- tpconfig -add -drive -type drvtype -path drivepath

Swithces as per need :- -shared [yes|no] -drstatus UP | DOWN | DISABLED] [-robot robnum -robtype robtype] [-robdrnum robdrvnum | -VendorDrvName venddrvname | -ACS acsnum -DRIVE drivenum]

smiley

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

'tpautoconf -t' or 'scan' can be used to map serial no's to OS device names on each media server.

To correlate with ACS drive addresses, run the following from cmd_proc:

ACSSA> display drive *,*,*,* -f type serial_num

Always best to config shared drives using the NBU device config wizard.