cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape duplication after full backup

newww
Level 3

Hello,

I’m quite new to NetBackup and am in the process of setting up a backup strategy. We have an autoloader  with a bar code reader and we’re using NetBackup 6.5. I want to implment the following backup strategy:

- All my databases full backup will go to a single tape and this tape will be automatically replicated to another one and ejected from the robot after the duplication job is finished.

How can I achieve as I'm new to netbackup (I'm comfortbale with backup Exec)?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JHeaton
Level 6

One of those destinations can be a hard drive somewhere, also.  You don't have to have 2 tape drives.  Send the first copy to the hard drive, then have a duplication job send the 2nd copy to the tape.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sebastian_Baszc
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Mate,

The easiest way to do that is use the NetBackup Vault. In the NetBackup Profile you can configure Duplications and ejection of the tape from the library. You need a license for this, though.

If you don't have a license - you can always use a script to accomplish the same. In this scenario you would have to put into the script the line which would find the backup image for the given client(s) and initiate the duplication. Once this part is done - the script would have to eject the tape.

Hopes it helps.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

3 ways to duplicate the data:

1) vault profile...

where you can sepcify the clients data needs to get duplicated.. with the destination info..

2) scripts

this should have a commands "bpimagelist" with options to deternine the images which needs to get dulicates and "bpduplicate" command to start the duplicatios

3) inline tape copy:-

inline tape copy is the one where you can do the duplicatoins at the time of backup.. to the spedified destination..

both Vault and inline tape copy needs to purchage the licence..

for ejection:-

always Vault will be the best..

Vault will be best option to perform both duplication and ejection..

RonCaplinger
Level 6

A Storage LifeCycle Policy (SLP) can do everything above, except for the eject of the tape.  If you haven't purchased a vault license, try this option first.

Your first destination in the SLP would be a "Backup" to tape in one volume pool, let's call it "OnsiteCopy". You can set a specific retention for this copy of, say, 30 days.

Your second destination would be  "Duplication" to a different volume pool, which could be called "OffsiteCopy".  this would ensure a different tape from the "OnsiteCopy".  This could also have a separate retention period, say 2 years.

I believe there is a script in the GOODIES directory that will generate a list of tapes in a specific volume pool and you can use that to identify any "OffsiteCopy" volumes and manually eject the tape from the library.

newww
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I find 3 methodes to do the replication:

- SLP

- Multiples copies from the backup policy

- Duplicate image from the catalog

Which methode is possible if I have one tape drive?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Which methode is possible if I have one tape drive?

NONE of the options are possible with one drive!

To duplicate, you need one drive to read the source image and another to write the copy.

For multiple backup copies you need a minimum of two destinations.

JHeaton
Level 6

One of those destinations can be a hard drive somewhere, also.  You don't have to have 2 tape drives.  Send the first copy to the hard drive, then have a duplication job send the 2nd copy to the tape.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct - backups can be made to Disk Storage Unit, but the requirement in opening post was to backkup to tape and duplicate to another tape :

"full backup will go to a single tape and this tape will be automatically replicated to another one and ejected from the robot after the duplication job is finished."