cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes Filling Up - Even though minium capacity is not reached

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Trying to track down a media utilization issue. I've noticed an increase in the number of tapes used each night. I'm seeing a lot of these messages in the Detailed Status of backups:

"current media NDA436 complete, requesting next media Any"

Ironically, the total tape utilization for NDA436 is only 118GB, even though the media is LTO2 with an uncompressed capacity of 200GB.

It seems like I spend more time these days micro managing my media utilization. I don't remember that being a selling point when we bought NBU :(

Anyone out there with ideas or similar issues?
9 REPLIES 9

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Is the retention period different for the job that's trying to run different than the data that's already stored on NDA436?

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Nope, the retention period displayed when I run an "IMAGES ON MEDIA" report shows all images with a 6 week retention period.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi lance,
Are we relating retention to media, cause a media can have multiple backup images with varying retentions.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar

Stumpr2
Level 6
I would run a bpverify or GUI eqivalent on the media

Stumpr2
Level 6
Vince,
Please see this thread:
http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=64885&tstart=0

Randy_Bobbert
Not applicable
Something you might want to check. We had the same problem on one of our Master servers. When we checked the Policies, we found that Compression was checked. We had Compression on top of Compression. When we unchecked compression, the tapes filled properly.

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Nope, compression is not checked on any of the policies. Anyone out there think it may be helped by increasing the number of multiplexing?

Stumpr2
Level 6
multiplexing? - NO

Vince_Corona
Level 4
Bob:
I'm suprised by your answer. I would have thought the increased number of multiplexing would reduce shoe-shining and make better use of the media. Am I wrong here?