cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp Staging Area question

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5

Hello all,

I have really complicated Netbackup implementation. I have media server in each remote office, which backups data locally to disk storage unit, then I have temporary staging are enabled, so all images automatically goes to central disk storage unit and then it goes to tape.

I started vaulting (additional copy) images for offsite storage and I noticed that Vaulting job duplicates images from remote dist storage unit again. I verified and all images were duplicated to central storage area I actually see images in central storage unit. I verified catalog and I noticed that catalog shows that recent images are still on remote dist storage unit... Looks like images on central storage unit are not being marked as copy two.

My question would be how I could force Net backup to duplicate all images from remote office to central storage unit and save them to tape is necessary.

Thanks,
Mindaugas

Message Edited by Mindaugas Laucius on 03-27-200712:43 PM

Message Edited by Mindaugas Laucius on 03-27-200712:45 PM

6 REPLIES 6

DavidParker
Level 6

@Mindaugas Laucius wrote:
Hello all,
I have really complicated Netbackup implementation. I have media server in each remote office, which backups data locally to disk storage unit, then I have temporary staging are enabled, so all images automatically goes to central disk storage unit and then it goes to tape.
I started vaulting (additional copy) images for offsite storage and I noticed that Vaulting job duplicates images from remote dist storage unit again. I verified and all images were duplicated to central storage area I actually see images in central storage unit. I verified catalog and I noticed that catalog shows that recent images are still on remote dist storage unit... Looks like images on central storage unit are not being marked as copy two.
My question would be how I could force Net backup to duplicate all images from remote office to central storage unit and save them to tape is necessary.
Thanks,
Mindaugas

Message Edited by Mindaugas Laucius on 03-27-200712:43 PM

Message Edited by Mindaugas Laucius on 03-27-200712:45 PM

Mindaugas,
How are your images moving from the remote offices to the central disk storage?
Are the files manually copied or Duplicated through NetBackup.

If you are just 'moving' the files from the remote sites to the central disk, then this is expected behavior. By default, Vault will read the image from the media server that wrote it. If you want to change that behavior, you need to change the Vault Profile to use an 'alternate read server'.

Another option is available if you're using NetBackup to duplicate the files from the remote site to the central disk: in the duplication, promote the new copy to be the master copy. Then, when Vault looks for the image, it will take the new master copy.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
NetBackup handles duplication; I have temporary stating area checkmark checked on remove dist storage unit, so everything is going to central dist storage unit. I just don't understand why image copy on central storage unit is not being reported in catalog. I see image on disk...

DavidParker
Level 6
The images on your central disk are probably not being created as 'primary' copies.
If this is the case, NBU will not use them for anything like restoring from or Vaulting from.

In your duplication from the offsite storage to the central disk, change the duplication to set the new copy to be the primary copy.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Thanks Davind for answer.

Could you please point me where I could set it up?

I don't see this option under temporary staging area schedule.. :(

DavidParker
Level 6
The temp staging area is in the Storage Unit config, yes?
There might not be an option to use there.

Other ideas of places to look:
Check in the Vault Profile 'selection' section and see if you can specify a copy number to select.
Create a script that will select the images on the central disk area and promote them to primary copy; you would then run that script every time before you ran Vault.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Thank you David. I'll dig beeper in to this... :D