cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting start and stop scripts with NBU 6.5 on Windows 2003

kjhurni
Level 3

I had this working for a few days and now all of a sudden it doesn't seem to be working properly.

I have the two default scripts (bpstart_notify.bat and bpend_notify.bat)

I simply added a few lines into the default scripts at line 54

net stop MCAFEEEVENTPARSERSRV
sleep 15
net stop MCAFEEAPACHESRV
sleep 15
net stop MCAFEETOMCATSRV200
sleep 15
net stop MSSQL$EPOSERVER
sleep 15

What's strange is that the NBU logs show it doesn't start the backup until 8:00 p.m.  The event viewer shows at this time that the services DO stop at 8:00 p.m.
But then at 8:05 p.m. the services start back up, but NBU doesn't backup the files until 8:15 p.m. and then it complains that they're in use (I then see another set of event viewer logs at 8:15 p.m. showing the services are stopping again)

Almost as if it's calling the bpstart_notify.bat and then not backing up the files, but then running the bpend_notify.bat file and THEN backing things up

Do I have things mixed around?

My bpres file just has a "0" in it.

TIA
3 REPLIES 3

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
multistreaming?

First stream is stopping the services, then next stream kicks in & tries the same but already stopped. First stream starts the services again when finished but whilst the second stream is still going and so on.

Implementing the NetBackup bpstart_notify and the bpend_notify scripts when using Multistreaming in ...

Or maybe another job calling the same script?

Run bpstart_notify script only for a required policy and/or schedule.

As I say, I don't use them so maybe I'm sending you on a wild-goose-chase!

kjhurni
Level 3

Thanks Andy.

I'm thinking that makes sense.

When I manually run just the job (the one for JUST the D drive), it works flawlessly.  When it gets run for the "parent" job (where it backs up 3 "things") then it seems to cause problems. 

I'll take a look at those two links you posted.

Thanks for your help!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
There is also the parent_start_notify & parent_end_notify scripts which you may want to investigate in the Admin Guides - altho' they do not run on the clients per this T/N:

ERRATA to the Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0 Administrator's Guide - How the parent_start_notify & paren...