cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tune up the LTO4 up to 1 TB

Blazer_2
Level 3

Dear all,

What netbackup command can be used to tune up the LTO4 ( 800GB without compression) in to 1 TB without selection of hardward compression?

Regards,

Blazer

3 REPLIES 3

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

I'm not certain what you're asking for.  Netbackup doesn't control the capacity of a tape. 

Are you seeing '800GB' somewhere and you're worried that it's a limit or something?

--

Darren 

Vicente_Fukuda
Level 4

Hi

Depending on your data: Windows, Standard, Agent... You can store more data than supposed. I 've seen LTO2 tapes (apparently native 200 GB) with 300 and more backing up Linux (no compression), for example.

I hope this can help

Regards

Vicente

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Netbackup does not dictate how much data a tape can have. It depends upon the drive/media in use and the type of data involved in backup.

In case of LTO-4, your drive/media dictate that it can have 800 GB of uncompressed data. In most of case you will see drives are enabled for compression and it will automatically compress the data coming to it, so how much above 800GB it can hold depends upon how much data it can compress. If your backup involves a cold backup or file level backup oracle database, where most of the space is assigned to datafiles but datafiles are not fully used, you may see more than 2 TB on the tape. Where as if your backup include zip or compressed file, tape may be able to hold only 800GB.

Bottom line, NetBackup has no control (unless you are compressing at software level) on how much data a tape can have.