cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPGRADE PLAN

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Experts,

We have problem with the "VIRTUAL DISK TERMINATED" error at our environment and as i have posted the same in the CONNECT one among you suggested to apply patch NBU from 7.1 to 7.1.03 and now please tell me the procedure how to patch it  do i need to reboot the server after this and is the same .exe patch file can be applied for both MASTER,MEDIA,CLIENTS ??? I will be very thankful if you people can give the detailed procedure how to perform this upgradation.

MASTER,MEDIA,CLIENT:- 7.1

HOST O.S on all :- WINDOWS 2008R2 SP1

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

All you need to know is in this well written Technote. I refer you to read the release notes at the end for the official procedure to upgrade. See link below.

Downtime: Of course update the master first, This will require all netbackup services on the master stopped.

So I presume perform at a quiet period.

It took 5-10 minutes to upgrade my master from 7.1 to 7.1.0.3. You might have different 'mileage' depending on size of databases that might need to be touched in the update process.

The install script in the download will let you know the prerequisites if you dont meet them.

Further there is an uninstall script if you want to rollback.

But of course perform full backup of master before, as well as catalog backup.

Technote: 7.1.0.4 Download Links

@Mouse I have sent Nayab an invoice for consultancy. Or he just mark as solution. wink

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

I remembered his name "Mark" suggested me to apply this patch

Thanks,

Nayab

Anonymous
Not applicable

Download links are here. 7.1.0.4 is the latest. And contains all fixes in 7.1.0.1/2/3

7.1.0.4 Download Links

So assume you download the X64 version

NB_7.1.0.4.winnt.x64.exe provides fixes for NetBackup (tm) 7.1 on x64 Windows server and clients.

Run this after it extracts and you can choose to install to remote computers (clients) instead  of the local computer.

Best practice of course perform patches MASTER > MEDIA > CLIENTS in that order. 

Perform this maintenance patch at a quiet period in your NetBackup environment schedule.

TIP: I use this command to find what it going to be run in the next several hours. So I can plan to perform work.

# nbpemreq -predict_all -date 09/10/2012 21:00:00

Predicted worklist including all jobs due to run between now and Mon Sep 10 21:00:00 2012

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Stuart,

Thanks a lot\

i have few questions

Do i need to reboot after applying this patch 

And i need to individually patch each and every server in my environment or do we have any PUSH PACKAGE(i Believe this is for UNIX only , but help me if any )  kind of stuff so that i can push this PATCH form MASTER server to all clients.

Is it recomended to perform this when backups running or in non-backup hours

please advise.

Thanks,

Nayab

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do i need to reboot after applying this patch?

For windows there is NO push package. (LiveUpdate might be an option - but not got experience of that. And you might not be running this.)

As I said you can perform remote installs from your own PC for example using that download package above.

Just run the setup.exe and it prompts for Local or Remote Computer. And you can add several computers to a list here to 'push' out to them - Windows to Windows of course.

Perform/target updating when no backups are being performed on that specific server - otherwise you may need to reboot. As the software may be using binaries that need to be updated and therefore WILL require a reboot to replace them as could not do them when active.!

So do I need reboot. On a master server. Shutdown all netbackup processes and check no processes active. ON command line

Program Files/Veritas/NetBackup/bin/bpps 

Shows all processes still active

When none there I suggest updating.

Like MS Patching.. plan for a reboot. Some dont need it. I did recently update a 7.5 Windows master to 7.5.0.3 and didnt ask for reboot.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Staurt,

As a part of applying the above patch  i have noticed like we need to down the SQL DB services , is it necesarry to down the services coz we are not taking DB online backup but we are taking only the backup of DB folders.

Installation steps:

1) Close all NetBackup Windows.
   Make sure the NetBackup system has no active backups, restores,
   duplications, etc., running. If there are NetBackup activities in process,
   the Maintenance Release will require a reboot if the file to update is busy.

If a database client is being used, such as Oracle, ensure that the
   database services are stopped. Database services can be stopped using the
   ControlPanel -> Services tool. Repeat this until all databases have been
   stopped. These services must be restarted once the patch is successfully
   installed.

Thanks,

Nayab

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
That statement has always been in patch Readme's, but I can tell you that I have assisted MANY customers in my 13 years of working for Symantec Partners and we have NEVER needed to restart database services. As per Stuart's excellent post, just ensure that all GUIs are closed and that there are no active jobs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let the forum know by Update to this post when you have updated NetBackup. And mark any posts as helpful and/or one a solution.

If after, still got the same problem with virtual disk. suggest you create a new forum thread with that as title and any more detail to assist in the resolving.

Nayab_Rasool
Level 6

Hi Stuart,

we are going to upgrade the Netbackup 7.1 to 7.1.0.4 could you please tell the downtime required to complete this activity and please tell about the prerequsites and rollback plan as well.

Thanks,

Nayab

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would love to hear this too for free, for some reason I'm being paid for doing this :)

Anonymous
Not applicable

All you need to know is in this well written Technote. I refer you to read the release notes at the end for the official procedure to upgrade. See link below.

Downtime: Of course update the master first, This will require all netbackup services on the master stopped.

So I presume perform at a quiet period.

It took 5-10 minutes to upgrade my master from 7.1 to 7.1.0.3. You might have different 'mileage' depending on size of databases that might need to be touched in the update process.

The install script in the download will let you know the prerequisites if you dont meet them.

Further there is an uninstall script if you want to rollback.

But of course perform full backup of master before, as well as catalog backup.

Technote: 7.1.0.4 Download Links

@Mouse I have sent Nayab an invoice for consultancy. Or he just mark as solution. wink