cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to discover/backup VM - NB 7.5.0.1

Raju_la
Level 5

Hello,

we tried to add one of new VM to backup schedules but we unable to discover/see that through " browse and select the virtual machine " interface

so i added that manually then its failing with 156-snapshot error encountered  but in realality its not evening talking to VM bec when i check the task& events

of this VM on vcenter i don't see backup even tried to create a snapshot.  its pingable through master, media and offhost server see below.

any help is appreciated.

Master & Media Server: Solaris 7.5.0.1

Backup method: off-host

root@master:/$ bpclntcmd -hn webprodvm

host webprodvm: webprodvm.hds.com at 172.45.147.123
aliases:     webprodvm.hds.com     webprodvm     172.45.147.123

root@media:/$  bpclntcmd -hn webprodvm
host webprodvm: webprodvm.hds.com at 172.45.147.123
aliases:     webprodvm.hds.com     webprodvm     172.45.147.123

off-host:

C:\Users\sanadmin>ping webprodvm
Pinging webprodvm.hds.com [172.45.147.123] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.45.147.123: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=125
Reply from 172.45.147.123: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=125

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Raju_la
Level 5

yes..after vm admin Enabled shadow volumes on the disks we are able to take a snapshot backups.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

I recommend changing over your backups of VM's to displayname instead of hostname. This takes and DNS or hostname resolution problems out of the picture, as NBU will only query Vcenter for the displayname of the VM.
This has a second benefit, as we can add the "disableIPResolution" key to your remote backup host locations. This will enable the remote locations to skip the IP resolution process of every single VM in the vCenter database when it does a query. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128037
NBU does not need to resolve IP addresses by default, we can let vCenter process that information and just hand us a displayname to be backed up.
We should also tell each remote backup host location to 'excludeVMservers' and add the vCenters that it does not need to know about. This will also greatly speed up the backup and browse process.

Raju_la
Level 5

Hi Dyneshia,

thank you for that info. but do u think  think  at this point by adding "disableIPResolution" will fix my new vm discovery/backup issue ?  also if i do that now does it cause problems with existing vms ?

apprecite your input.

thanks

Raj

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

Can you browse through the vmware when choose the policy type as VMWARE ?

Try authenticate to that particular ESX server and check . Trying to see if its a permission issue from VMWare.

Raju_la
Level 5

"Can you browse through the vmware when choose the policy type as VMWARE ?"

i don't think we this policy type because we using off-host backup method. and giving an error - vcb is not supported by the new policy type"

"Try authenticate to that particular ESX server and check . Trying to see if its a permission issue from VMWare."

we tested this already. we login to vcenter with our backup service id [ which we used for virtual machine servers credentials ] and its able to create a snapshot manually.

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

We had a similar issue where we can perform all the required when we login with the same id using a vsphere client but the backups were failing with 156 . The issue was found to be with the Vcenter permissions where the permissions were not propagated to the child objects. You may want to very this with your VMware admins.

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

Were you able to get a fix for this ?

Raju_la
Level 5

yes..after vm admin Enabled shadow volumes on the disks we are able to take a snapshot backups.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So - how were you able to test snapshots on 17 May?

we tested this already. we login to vcenter with our backup service id [ which we used for virtual machine servers credentials ] and its able to create a snapshot manually.

Shilpa_Gadey
Level 3

Same question as Marianne mentioned.

Raju_la
Level 5

good question ..yes i am able to create a snapshot with backup account [ which we used for vcenter on nb ] last month here i attach the screen shot where u can notice create a snapshot but again in the same doc i attach another screenshot where u notice there is no backup images during since last month. once vm admin enabled shadow volumes on the disks it started working [ again i attach the screen shot ]..