cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to register Data Domain Storage server

kasvis
Level 3

Hi All ,

I am having some troubles registering the storage server.I have a Master server and a media server and i am trying to register the data domain dd610 appliance with the media server.This is a new setup and I am using Netbackup 7.0.1 on Windows 2003 SP2 (64 bit)(Both Master and Media).

When i try to register the storage server (from media server) with the following command

"nbdevconfig -creatests -st 9 -stype DataDomain -storage_server dd6101 -media_server nbumedia1"

and I am getting error

"RDSM has encountered an issue with STS where the server was not found: getStorag
eServerInfo Failed to create storage server dd6101, invalid command parameter"

Next, i tried running the tpconfig command to add the credentials

"tpconfig -add -storage_server dd6101 -stype DataDomain -sts_user_id USER1 -password USER1"

and the error was

Invalid server information for type DataDomain server dd6101.Authorization failed for OpenStorage server dd6101

1. There are no DNS issues (Refer article http://98.129.119.162/connect/ja/forums/problem-registering-datadomain-ost-storage-server)

2. Latest version of the datadomain plug-in is installed.(Version 2.2.2.0-200818)

3. OST is enabled and running in the Data Domain Appliance.The data domain user has got admin access on the appliance.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did your DD engineer give you the OST Admin Guide?

We followed the detailed steps in the Guide and everything went fine.

The Guide recommends adding hosts entries (in addition to DNS with reverse lookup):

To avoid the need for frequent DNS lookups, add every media server host/IP address to the Data Domain system using the
net hosts add ipaddr {host | "alias host"}...
command.

To avoid DNS lookup for every OST job, also add the Data Domain system IP address into the media server’s /etc/hosts file.

Also - did you remember to restart nbrmms ?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Did your DD engineer give you the OST Admin Guide?

We followed the detailed steps in the Guide and everything went fine.

The Guide recommends adding hosts entries (in addition to DNS with reverse lookup):

To avoid the need for frequent DNS lookups, add every media server host/IP address to the Data Domain system using the
net hosts add ipaddr {host | "alias host"}...
command.

To avoid DNS lookup for every OST job, also add the Data Domain system IP address into the media server’s /etc/hosts file.

Also - did you remember to restart nbrmms ?

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Have you tried running it from the master?

Also, how many IP addresses/interface ar configured on the DD? You might find that hostname resolution appears to be working fine, but if there are multiple interfaces involved, it uses an interface other than the one you think it does.

Example, on the DD you have int 1 10.10.10.1, int 2 10.10.10.2. You configure DDNAME as 10.10.10.1 and when you nsloopkup that name it resolves correctly. If you login into the DD and resolve the master it resolves correctly. BUT, the DD might by default use int 2, and not 1 so when you talk to it, it will accept the request on int1, but reply on int2.

Same thing you'd see in NBU and having to use the required interface attribute for clients with more than one NIC, or a backup network.

Worth a try

RonCaplinger
Level 6

When we installed the new DD's, I had a similar problem.  The way I had to fix it was to completely unconfigure the storage server info in NetBackup and start over from scratch.  The order that you enter the commands and the options you add at that time are apparently set in stone, even though many of the options appear to be able to be modified later.

I'd recommend removing all references to the storage server that you've done so far, then follow the OST admin guide step by step to re-add.

kasvis
Level 3

The issue was around the DNS lookup from the Data Domain device.I was able to register it once it was added..

Thanks to Everyone...