cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Media Server hardware

RLeon
   VIP   

What if I want to update the media server hardware, and os version, but keep the same hostname?
To be specific, I'm NOT talking about the master server. Just a media server.

I have found lots of posts here that talk about how to move the master server to new hardware and a new os. The Disaster Recovery section in the Troubleshooting guide also talks about it.

But I couldn't find anything about just moving a media server to new hardware, new os.
Sure, I know of the Netbackup Decommission tool, but it is only for when the new media server has a different hostname.

Can anyone point me to the steps of moving a Nbu media server to new hardware, new os and same hostname.

The new server will have the following:
1. More cores in the CPU
2. Larger local disks with larger partitions, where the Nbu media server will be installed
3. Upgrade OS to Windows 2008 R2, from Windows 2003 32bit.
4. Using the SAME HOSTNAME as the old media server
5. Connected to the same tape library as the old media server

Thanks!

RLeon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Question: is media server the robot control host or just using drives in a robot controlled by another host?

If NOT robot control host, my approach would be as follows:

1. Delete all devices for media server
2. Deactivate media server
3. Attach devices to new server
4. Ensure devices are visible/usable in Device Manager (install drivers)
5. Install NBU on new server
6. Activate Media Server
7. Use wizard to scan and add devices
8. Double-check Storage Unit Properties
9. Test backups

All devices for a media server can be deleted in one go with this command:
nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename server_name -machinetype media
( http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34130 )

You will notice that I'm leaving the STU and only deleting devices. If STU is deleted and re-added as part of device discovery, the name might be different which will require updating all policies and/or STUG using this STU. Check the properties after device config to ensure correct robot #,  density, etc.

If robot control host - some addtional steps. Let us know.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6

Question: is media server the robot control host or just using drives in a robot controlled by another host?

If NOT robot control host, my approach would be as follows:

1. Delete all devices for media server
2. Deactivate media server
3. Attach devices to new server
4. Ensure devices are visible/usable in Device Manager (install drivers)
5. Install NBU on new server
6. Activate Media Server
7. Use wizard to scan and add devices
8. Double-check Storage Unit Properties
9. Test backups

All devices for a media server can be deleted in one go with this command:
nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename server_name -machinetype media
( http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO34130 )

You will notice that I'm leaving the STU and only deleting devices. If STU is deleted and re-added as part of device discovery, the name might be different which will require updating all policies and/or STUG using this STU. Check the properties after device config to ensure correct robot #,  density, etc.

If robot control host - some addtional steps. Let us know.

RLeon
   VIP   

Thanks for your input.
The media server uses its own Tape Library TL2 (fibre SAN zoning) without SSO with other servers.
I guess it is "a" robot control host then.

The reason for the emphasizing is because the master server also has its private Tape Library TL1 that is not SSO'd. So the master server is also a robot control host.

In short:
Master server = Robot Control Host of TL1 (not using SSO)
Media server = Robot Control Host of TL2 (not using SSO)

Thanks,

RLeon

Marianne
Level 6

Deleting devices will automatically move media to standalone.

If you are current using Media Id Generation rule for this robot, double-check that it is still in place before you do an Inventory.

Inventory will update media robotic location as before.

Confirm that robot number is the same as before. If not, you will possibly have to recreate the STU.

My reason for first deleting devices is that OS device addresses will be different on new server.

RLeon
   VIP   

Marianne,

Am I correct in saying that the procedure will be the same as those you listed in your 1st reply?
But with the addition of the following:

Be careful of:
1. Device address differences - affect the STU names, which could affect some policies
2. Robot number - Related to 1. above (but then I think could change the robot number anyway)
3. Media IDs - make sure to use the same Media Id Geneartion rules to keep things consistent after the hardware change

Thanks for helping,

RLeon

Marianne
Level 6

Correct. If robot number is completely removed from emm database, theory is that it SHOULD add the robot back as the same number and hopefully not as the next logical number (TLD(3)).

I'm hoping to see more ideas from Mark and Martin when they come online a bit later...

RLeon
   VIP   

Thanks Marianne,

All cleared up now. Let's see if more ideas surface.

RLeon

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Marianne <wave> ....

I think the wizard would add it back in as 0 (the lowest number unused) but if not, the robot can be added 'manully' and at that point the robot number can be selected.

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi all

If it adds in as the wrong number you can delete it and add it back in manually

If you then run the device wizard it will retain that robot number (TLD(x)) but will add its drives in

Do be careful that during the wizard its drive get added with the correct density (hcart / hcart2 etc.) - you can correct these during the wizard of they are incorrect.

Any disk storage units attached to this server?

Any specific settings in use? - They are stored in its registry so you may want to take a look at its host properties before you move to new hardware so that all settings can be put back

Hope this helps

RLeon
   VIP   

Hi all,

It would seem that by keeping the same hostname, the process is even made simpler.

Still need to be careful with the robot number and storage units though.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

RLeon