cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Java on the netbackup client.

cyberninja
Level 6

Hello,
I'm updating Java on our Solaris 10, RHEL 5 and SLES 11 servers. I'm using NetBackup 7.5. The current version of the java the NetBackup is using is 1.7.0_25. The current version of Java is 1.7.0_55. The client versions are located here; /usr/openv/java/jre/bin/sparcv9/java and /usr/openv/java/jre/bin/java.

I used to use this document from this site - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH148257  This article is for an older client, which uses Java 6. Also this doesn't work on the media and master servers.

So my question is how do we upgrade Java on the clients. None of my servers have Java 7 installed, meaning a non-embedded system version. So I can't use the .nbjconf file to direct the client to the system Java.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I followed the instrucions in TECH148257 with JRE 7 Update 55, Solaris 10 SPARC and NetBackup 7.6.0.1. It works! Login window comes up and I can connect to the server.

$ sh -x /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA

:

+ /usr/java/jre1.7.0_55/bin/java -Dvrts.NBJAVA_CONF=/usr/openv/java/nbj.conf -showversion -d64 -Dvrts.common.server.LCCTYPE="ja" -Dvrts.common.server.LOG_CMDLINES=false -Djava.library.path=/usr/openv/lib -Dvrtsat.datadir=/usr/openv/var/vxss/at -Dvrtsat.home=/usr/openv/netbackup/sec/at -Dvrts.common.utilities.DEBUG_PROPERTIES=/usr/openv/java/Debug.properties -Dvrts.nbe.HOSTNAME= -Dvrts.nbe.INST_REL=760000 -Dvrts.nbe.BUILDNO=20131113 -Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=vrts.common.launch.PropertiesPreferencesFactory -Xms256M -Xmx512M vrts.nbe.AdminConsole

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

The technique written in this technote is common and independent from version of JRE and NetBackup. Have you already tried it?

Anyway, you need to install JRE onto your host to use up-to-date JRE. Steps described in tjis technote seems best. I think there are no safe way other than installing JRE into alternative path and modifying PATH environment.

cyberninja
Level 6

Thanks for replying to my post.

I have been using the technique from the technote I linked to, for so time. The fix in the technote doesn't work on the NetBackup Media and Master servers though. The Java console window (jnbSA) will not work, it errors out.

The JRE on the NetBackup client servers are Java 5 or 6 and a lot of the Linux servers have no java installed at all, other then the one from NetBackup.

The fact that the NetBackup client is now using Java 7 made me wonder if I could still use this method. The system Java is still Java 5 on a lot of systems.

Will_Restore
Level 6

>>The Java console window (jnbSA) will not work, it errors out.

What is the exact error text? 

cyberninja
Level 6

I made the change as directed by the technote and it is not giving me the error. I guess something else was causing the error.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

I followed the instrucions in TECH148257 with JRE 7 Update 55, Solaris 10 SPARC and NetBackup 7.6.0.1. It works! Login window comes up and I can connect to the server.

$ sh -x /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA

:

+ /usr/java/jre1.7.0_55/bin/java -Dvrts.NBJAVA_CONF=/usr/openv/java/nbj.conf -showversion -d64 -Dvrts.common.server.LCCTYPE="ja" -Dvrts.common.server.LOG_CMDLINES=false -Djava.library.path=/usr/openv/lib -Dvrtsat.datadir=/usr/openv/var/vxss/at -Dvrtsat.home=/usr/openv/netbackup/sec/at -Dvrts.common.utilities.DEBUG_PROPERTIES=/usr/openv/java/Debug.properties -Dvrts.nbe.HOSTNAME= -Dvrts.nbe.INST_REL=760000 -Dvrts.nbe.BUILDNO=20131113 -Djava.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory=vrts.common.launch.PropertiesPreferencesFactory -Xms256M -Xmx512M vrts.nbe.AdminConsole

cyberninja
Level 6

Ok,

I'm asking if there is anther way to patch Java that comes with NetBackup if there is no sytem Java installed.

ontherocks
Level 6

There is no other way I think.