cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Netbackup client from 7.0.1 to 7.5.0.5

AGupta2012
Level 3

I need to upgrade Netbackup client on 64-bit Linux server. The current client version is 7.0.1. I am not a system admin so need some guidance on how to proceed with the upgrade. These are some high level steps that I have come up with.

Download and join NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.1of3, NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.2of3 and NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS_tar-gz.3of3 into NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz.

#/etc/init.d/netbackup stop

#tar zxvf NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS.tar.gz
#cd NetBackup_7.5_CLIENTS
#./install

This should upgrade the Netbackup client from 7.0.1 to 7.5. Now I download and join the NB_CLT_7.5.0.5_tar-split.1of3, NB_CLT_7.5.0.5_tar-split.2of3 and NB_CLT_7.5.0.5_tar-split.3of3 into NB_CLT_7.5.0.5.tar.

#tar xvf NB_CLT_7.5.0.5.tar
#./NB_update.install

#/etc/init.d/netbackup start

Do these steps look correct? Have I missed something? Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
OK you should be fine. Install/Upgrade will shutdown and restart daemons so you can omit 'netbackup stop' and 'netbackup start' steps if you like.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Will_Restore
Level 6

You say "I am not a system admin" but you will need root login, or sudo, to do these steps.

AGupta2012
Level 3
I am not a system admin by job. I do have root login.

Will_Restore
Level 6
OK you should be fine. Install/Upgrade will shutdown and restart daemons so you can omit 'netbackup stop' and 'netbackup start' steps if you like.

AGupta2012
Level 3
Thanks!!!

muhanad_daher
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

You need to log with root, then move the packages to client (you need more than 6 GB free).

you need to download this file also "NB_7.5.0.5.linuxR_x86.tar"

follow this instructions:

1- cat NB_CLT_7.5.0.5_tar-split.1of3 NB_CLT_7.5.0.5_tar-split.3of3 NB_CLT_7.5.0.5_tar-split.3of3 > NB_CLT_7.5.0.5.tar

2- tar xfv NB_CLT_7.5.0.5.tar

3- tar xfv NB_7.5.0.5.linuxR_x86.tar

4- ./NB_update.install and select 2.

5- more /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version (should display 7.5.0.5)

Good Luck.

AGupta2012
Level 3
Thanks. Yes, I did follow similar process and was able to get a successful upgrade. I would also like to express my thanks to this community. I always get good information and in a very timely manner.

Vickie
Level 6

Hi Agupta,

Thats great, as its successfully done.

Just an suggestion here,as to up-grade client from Master Server using (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/update_client ) command.

As its a easy and fast way to upgrade the client.

Have you try to do it like in this way.

AGupta2012
Level 3
I did notice in the documentation that clients can be upgraded from the master server. The master server is Windows. I do know know Netbackup well enough to figure out if Linux clients can be upgraded from Windows master server. Our server admins do not have Linux expertise so they could not say either. I just took a safe path to upgrade...

Zackariah
Level 2
Employee

AGupta,

Sadly, you can only do the remote 'push' installation when going through related environments. (Mainly, Unix/Linux to Unix/Linux and Windows to Windows). 

However, you can have your Master be windows and if you have any Media Servers that are Unix/Linux based, you can push from them also.

Usually it's preferred to do the local install when updating, however circumstances have made the remote installation be a better choice. (Ex. No HDD space on the client, or many clients to upgrade at once.)

Vickie
Level 6

Okay, if your master is windows server then its not possible to push to linux or unix client, as explained by Zack.

You can do it from any linux media server, if you have any.

smiley

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NB_7.5.0.5.linuxR_x86.tar is Server patch (Master/media). 

There is no need for this patch on a client.