Upgrading 5.1 to 6.0 including OS and to new hardware

k-e-v-i-n
Level 2
Looking for some insight of my issue here. I will do my best to describe:

Current setup:

Windows 2000 Server, NetBackup 5.1 mp5.

Mandatory New Setup:

Windows 2003 Std. Server, Netbackup 6.0

basically, I need to upgrade NB 5.1 to 6.0 onto new server, with different OS. Also, a new tape library on new system. However, basically the only thing I need from the 5.1 is the catalog since on the new server, I will be completely changing policies from scratch with new media etc... 

Was hoping someone out there has run into similiar situation and could recommend the right path of execution.

I appreciate the help!!

3 REPLIES 3

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Hi,

I use to be in same position, first upgrade to Windows 2003, that will not harm NBU at all, then you can upgrade to NBU 6, this process can be very easy or very complex, the main issue will be how your actual DB is, verify your DB is not corrupted or that you dont have discrepancies between the volumes DB, images DB and medias DB, if after this everything is ok you will be able to migrate.

Hope this helps.
Regards

k-e-v-i-n
Level 2
I apologize for not making it clear... the windows 2003 server is on new hardware...

Thanks for the response.

Stumpr2
Level 6

New hardware? Then can you keep the 2000 server around for doing restores with only maybe a few drives? Then you can simply start fresh with a clean install of NB 6.5 and leisurely migrate the other clients to it.

That's how I would talk my management into allowing me to do it.