cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent : Move of database files failed

Soniya
Level 4

I have a newly installed Virtual master server but the Catalog database is installed on C: drive and I want to move it to E: drive now. When I try the command from the installlation path ''C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin>nbdb_move -data E:'' it is failing with 'Move of database files failed'

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

nbdb_move is not enough to relocate all catalog files.

Follow instructions from this technote to correctly relocate ALL items, including image database, transaction logs and NBDB staging locations: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH144969

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Mouse

Try to run it from command prompt with elevated privileges - use "Run As Administrator"

And yes, you need to provide the full path to destination folder as the argument. Create a folder under E:\ structure first

Soniya
Level 4

Hi Mouse,

I have restrarted the NB services and ran the command and it worked fine.After this I started a Catalog backup but it is still backing up the previous db file which is in my C: drive. Do I need to make any other changes?

RiaanBadenhorst

How exactly do you know its backing up the files in C? Are you sure its not just staging to C? Did you update the staging location too when moving the databases?

nbdb_admin [-vxdbms_nb_staging directory]

Soniya
Level 4

I could find that the files databases.conf and server.conf are not copied. How to copy these files through command line

RiaanBadenhorst

Those files are not to be moved. If you move them your services wont start. They would contain the locations of the database and log files so its should not be an issue, and they're small.

Marianne
Level 6
Since this is a new installation, why not start from scratch and install to E-drive? The move of db to E will only move the EMM db, not images and other folders under Netbackup\db.

Mouse

nbdb_move is not enough to relocate all catalog files.

Follow instructions from this technote to correctly relocate ALL items, including image database, transaction logs and NBDB staging locations: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH144969

Soniya
Level 4

I have already installed everything and the server is about to be live.So it is difficult for me to do all the configurations again.Is it the only resolution for moving the dbs?

Still my catalog backups are running to the C: drive.

RiaanBadenhorst

Still my catalog backups are running to the C: drive. <<<Explain that please.

Marianne
Level 6

To C-drive or from C?
As we've tried to explain - moving EMM db will not move any of the catalogs under Netbackup\db.

How much 'config' has been done already?

Reinstall, device and media config will take less than an hour.

Policies (class folder under Netbackup\db) can be copied out before you remove and reinstall software.

If you did this 2 days ago when I suggested this, all would've been fine by now....

Mouse

As explained above, follow technote http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH144969 to relocate whatever is required to another drive. It's not difficult

Marianne
Level 6

No update in 2 weeks....

I guess no longer 'urgent'?