cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Query for backing up powered off machines failing

Bill_Conlee
Level 2

Hello,

I am rather new to Netbackup.  We have been successfully backing up VMs with query based jobs via Netbackup for about 2 months.  I have a few VMs that are scheduled for decommissioning and we would like to make a final backup of them prior to removing them from vCenter / deleting from disk.  Here is the query I have tried:

Displayname Contains "Decom_"

AND Powerstate Equal poweredOff

Testing this on the machine I would like to backup fails with "VM does not have a host name to use as a client name, display name = [Decom_MyLegacyServer], server = [vcenter.atmydomain.com]."

I have tried the following name based options:  Displayname, VMDNSname and VMHostName.  All are either Excluded or fail.  It seems the problem is when the power state is off, the real hostname of the server is unavailable and Netbackup cannot or will not backup the VM.  I would rather get the final backup for these machines scheduled to be decommissioned in a powered off state.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What do you set to Primary VM identifier in VMware tab?
Please try "VM displayname" if never tried.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What do you set to Primary VM identifier in VMware tab?
Please try "VM displayname" if never tried.

Bill_Conlee
Level 2

That worked!

Thanks Yasuhisa.  It was originally set as "VM hostname".  Changing the Primary VM identifier from that to "VM display name" solved the problem.

Thanks!

Bill