cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMWARE and Netbackup

zippy
Level 6
All,

Does anyone know what the best method is to back up a VMWARE box?

J
22 REPLIES 22

zippy
Level 6
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271590.htm

Geoff_Stafford
Level 3
You actually didn't answer the question (that you asked =]) of what is the best method. You can use the Linux client to backup the virtual windows client BUT when you do that you give up the ability to do individual file restores. If you install the Windows client on the virtual client you #1 may use up many more licenses in some way killing part of the efficiency of using Vmware. #2 Scheduling of backup jobs can be murder if you have test/dev boxes that aren't always active but you have a desire to back them up on a regular basis.

In the end you have to see what end of the scale is heavier and make a decision based on your environment and needs.

zippy
Level 6
Geoff,

So your saying, correct me if I'm wrong that backing up JUST the linux portion is nt the best way nor is backing up al the window server the best way cause of price.

What a drag I told them not to buy this blade server.

How do you backup your VMWARE server?

When the NT folks get it working correctly I'll let you know the what the final outcome is.

J

Geoff_Stafford
Level 3
The best way is really going to depend on your environment and your recovery needs so, unfortunately, I can't answer that. Right now we're in the testing phase of a VMWare rollout so it's a very hot topic. I'm leaning away from backing up the Linux box as it doesn't allow you to restore individual files. The servers we're targeting are UAT and Dev boxes so the chances of a restore are slim but there's a good chance we're going to start P2V'ing prod boxes further down the road and the probability of individual file restores will grow significantly.

I think we have two other options on the table right now, #1 - continue to backup the virtual servers no different than we are now. The bottleneck in this equation in the gigabit NIC on the physical VMWare server. We have to appropriately stagger the jobs and in the long run it could cause backups to run longer than they do now. #2 - VMWare supports a file system that RedHat does as well. (name escapes me, I've been on vacation for 2 weeks ;)). Within VMWare you can do an export of the virtual server to another filesystem which then can be mounted on the RedHat server over the SAN. RedHat is a supported OS for a media server (which VMWare isn't) so we can zone it to see tape drives and backup everything across the SAN. Complex but easily scripted.

Again, the "best way" is going to depend on your recovery needs.

Erin_Durbin
Level 2
Hi Guys...
We are just beginning to use VMWare in our environment and I had a situation recently involving a virtual file server. It is running Windows 2k3 and I have been using the windows client to back it up. Being able to restore at the file level was a HUGE lifesaver. For some reason, and this is another conversation all together, some of the directories started disappearing. I was able to restore only the ones that I needed. It would have probably been a nightmare to restore the entire volume and then copy and paste what I needed (since I may have had to because some of the directories were in use).

I am backing up the linux portion as well in case the whole thing blows up and we need to restore the server images. I really don't know much about the whole setup of VMWare, but the fellow who is setting everything up had a situation where he blew up the image, didn't have a backup of it, only the files from the file server, and had to rebuild a new standalone server just to "patch" things up for a quick fix. Just a real life situation and the lessons we learned from it....Hope that helps!

zippy
Level 6
Thank you all this info is great!

Thanks,

jim

IP_Freely
Level 4
BEST: ESX Ranger

h_m
Level 6

Does any one know if installing NBU 6 servers onto Virtual Windows 2003 o/s’ on VMware ESX is supported?

I can’t find any white papers or documentation to support either way…

Cheers.

Samuel_Ayoub
Level 4
Installing Netbackup Servers onto Virtual machines are not supported.  See the links below for more information concerning VMware backup configuration options.  You have a few different ways you can set this up depending on your needs and your environment.

Backing Up VMware With Veritas NetBackup (tm) Best Practices for NetBackup 6.0 and VMware ESX Server 2.x and 3.x

Netbackup 6.5 (specifically 6.5.1) apears to be better suited for this.

Veritas NetBackup 6.5 for VMware 3.x

Configuring and using NetBackup 6.5.1 to backup and restore VMware virtual machines

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Hi,

Samuel, thanks for great links, but third one is the same as first one. Could you please provide correct one?

-=-=-

I've been testing VMware backup with NB 6.5.1 lately and I noticed that file level backup (Windows-NT policy type with 0-File parameter) works perfect. I was able to backup and restore individual files.

I also tried to backup VM using FlashBackup-Windows policy type and 2-mapped FullVM parameter. Backup work great. But I wasn't able to restore individual files. After I Backup, Archive and Restore client I can see backups history, but then I click on green pin I receive error "WARNING: unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria.".

Does anyone had this before? Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6
I have a giant ESX infrastructure and I have been putting a client on each host and backing up easch host. Recently I got the VCB product and am currently in the process of implementing it. There was no real need for VCB and backing up each host is ok for us, the backups completed in the backup window and did not impact performance in any way. But we got VCB anyway cause its shinny and new!

http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/consolidated_backup.html

monsieurcaffee
Level 3
Hi, I got the same problem. Did you solve this?

Thnx for your reply!!!

Roderick

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
I think 6.5.1 had issues with file list. I was fixed in 6.5.1A. After I applied 6.5.1A on master I was able to browse and restore files in Full-VM backup.

monsieurcaffee
Level 3
Rrrrr.. another install. Ok, going to try this.

Really appreciate your fast reply, thanks! Symantec support did not tell me about this patch, even thought this may solve this issue.

Stumpr2
Level 6
sometimes the support person you are assigned simply doesn't know about the newer patches. I always ask for them to check out the README file of the latest patch.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Yes, I agree. 1 level support personnel doesn't know anything about new realizes of fixes. Usually they ask you nbsupport output, they do not respond to your email till you follow up with them and after few days case ends up in 2 or 3 level support queue.. I hate that. I always ask to route my case to 2/3 level support technician, but they never do that. I hate to run nbsupport over a over again, it takes 4-5 hours and it delays my issue resolution.

Message Edited by Mindaugas Laucius on 03-04-2008 12:12 PM

monsieurcaffee
Level 3
Same here.
Do you know if RDM (Raw Device Mappings) are supported?

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
I believe yes. As long as media server will see device it will be able to backup files on that device.

Message Edited by Mindaugas Laucius on 03-04-2008 12:18 PM

monsieurcaffee
Level 3
Think you have it, then you get the next issues:
- some VM backups fail cause a snapshot can not be made for serveral undefined reasons
- some VM backups fail after a succesfull snapshot and after the files seem to be succesfully transfered to the "mount dir"
- some VM backups succceed, but then I can only restore the complete VM and NOT just files.
- some VM backups succeed completely (yes this happens too)

I can repeat this situation for each VM. Everytime the same problem occurs for the same VM.

Anyone had the same experiences? Any solutions?