Did you mean: 

VMWare Backup using ESX host that has multiple IPs

Spartacus81
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Friends,

NBU Windows 7.5.0.6

Media Linux 7.5.0.6 (VMware host)

trying to backup the ESX host that has built in storage and running two vms. Host has two NICs (x.x.50.x and x.x.10.x) and the name of the host is xyz.

x.50 IP resolve to the name xyz

x.10 IP resolve to the name abc

if we backup the vm using x.50 the traffic goes through the firewall (100Mb port) hence backup is really slow. So we thought server has a free NIC lets add another vmkernal port (Gig x.10 IP) and trying to backup the vm directly. I am trying to add the ESX host using x.10 IP but login credential failed. I am trying to get the root password. So my question is it possible or have i got the completely wrong end of the stick?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If your ESX host is standalone and is not managed by vCenter, just add ESX host into NetBackup with the name which is resolved to x.10. You can use abc, or xyz is also possible if you wrote hosts files on VMware backup host so that xyz is resolved to x.10.

Please ensure that you need to clear host cache using "bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache" after you make any change in hosts or DNS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

when you are tyring to add the credential for ESXI host.. what is the error you are getting?

are you using the IP address or ESXi name that is associated with the new 10 gig IP?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If your ESX host is standalone and is not managed by vCenter, just add ESX host into NetBackup with the name which is resolved to x.10. You can use abc, or xyz is also possible if you wrote hosts files on VMware backup host so that xyz is resolved to x.10.

Please ensure that you need to clear host cache using "bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache" after you make any change in hosts or DNS.

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You need to ensure that from the ESX host you can only access the master from the 10.x IP. What probably is happening is you're sending a request to the ESX from the master via the 10.x IP, but when the ESX replies it uses which ever is the default NIC (and route) to send the reply. This is probably the 50.x address since it is the first installed card. So when the answer comes back to the master its not from the expected address.

You might need to add a route for the master server address so it is forced to use the 10.x address when communicating with the it.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee
hi, Spartacus81 Agreed with Yasuhisa. Summarize: 1. Make sure that your ESX server is standalone and not managed by vCenter. 2. Add your name resolution for abc(x.10) to each NBU role(master/media/backup host), make sure that there is correct resolution between them. 3. Try to add your ESX in NBU admin console. In addition, if your ESX is not standalone and managed by vCenter, it may cause some problems. Extract from NBU admin guide for VMware(http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6461) Note: For an NBD transport mode backup through vCenter, NetBackup uses the ESX network over which the ESX host was added or registered to the vCenter. For an NBD transport mode backup directly from the ESX host, NetBackup uses the ESX host’s DNS/IP network.

Spartacus81
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for all your replies guys. i managed to resolve it yesterday by removing the ESX host out of the cluster and making it standalone. added the host into netbackup, resolved the communication between host and backup servers and successfully managed to backup the vm using x.10 NIC/Interface.