Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware Backup Policy - Full / Inc

Murugan_S
Level 3
Partner

Dears,

we are running VMware backups with Daily Full - Accelerator Enabled. will it make sense if change this backup method to incremental. if yes, is there any advantage in Backup window and Backup Size. also need to know VMs can be restored from incrementals without restoring in sequences (full...inc...)

Thanks in advance.

Murugan. S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Whitehead_
Level 3

You won't be taking advantage of Accelerator with only full backups scheduled as they will all do a forced rescan. I would suggest reading up in the NetBackup for VMWARE documentation, I would link it but you haven't stated what version you're using.

In summary for best practice I would say you need the following schedules; Full (Forced Rescan), Full and then an incremental that best suits your other configuration settings. If you don't have a seperate Full backup schedule with Forced Rescan enabled then all your full's will perform this regardless.

In answer to your second question you can perform full VM restores from incrementals if you have Block Level Incremental Backups (BLIB) enabled and your backup target is MSDP. BLIB does not play well with tape.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

John_Whitehead_
Level 3

You won't be taking advantage of Accelerator with only full backups scheduled as they will all do a forced rescan. I would suggest reading up in the NetBackup for VMWARE documentation, I would link it but you haven't stated what version you're using.

In summary for best practice I would say you need the following schedules; Full (Forced Rescan), Full and then an incremental that best suits your other configuration settings. If you don't have a seperate Full backup schedule with Forced Rescan enabled then all your full's will perform this regardless.

In answer to your second question you can perform full VM restores from incrementals if you have Block Level Incremental Backups (BLIB) enabled and your backup target is MSDP. BLIB does not play well with tape.