Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware backup Status 23 NBD transport

Owiking
Level 3

Hi

Our environment.

We have one ESXi cluster where the backup works as it should. Using SAN transport mode.

Then we have 3 VMware Essential servers that only have direct attached storage. Those 3 servers are run in one vSphere datacenter.

Now I want to backup some of the servers in the Essentials environment. Ive added credentials for the vSphere server, I have tested that the credentials works.The account hade the Administrator role on the vSphere server and the rights have propagated down to the Essential servers.

I have created a new VMware policy.I have browsed and added a few servers for test purposes. The only change Ive done in the VMware tab is the transport modes.I have chosen nbd only since these servers dont have SAN storage.

When I start a manual backup, the snapshot works fine but then I get this error.

2015-10-08 13:40:50 - Error bpbrm(pid=7396) from client s252: ERR - Error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode: Status 23
2015-10-08 13:40:51 - Info bpbkar32(pid=3820) bpbkar waited 0 times for empty buffer, delayed 0 times.  

Is there anything special I need to do when taking backup on a VMware Essential server without SAN disk compared to a ESXi Cluster with SAN disk?

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

NBD transport requires to have the communication over the port 902 between the backup host and  VMware host

does it have the communication over the port 902 ?

you can test it using the telnet commnad from the backup host

telnet <Vmware host> 902

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I second Ram's thoughts. Must be comms from ESX to Media server. Remember the backup doens't occur via Vcenter.

Owiking
Level 3

Thanks, for your response.

I've tested the communication to the VMware host using telnet on port 902 from the backup host. it worked with no problems.

Anything else that you can think of?

Regarding Credentials. I have only added the Virtual Center Server and not the VMware hosts. On the other hand I have done the same for the ESXi Cluster and that works fine.

Is it worth trying to add the VMware host directly and in the policy go to the host to find the virtual machines instead of through the vCenter server?

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Enable VXMS logging on the backup host and lets see what its complaining about then.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO70905 (Pre NetBackup 7.6)

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH72862 (NetBackup 7.6)

Its logs quite heavily so set it to 5 (for now), run your job, then set it to 0.