cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSS Backups

Colin_North
Level 6
I am starting to convert my Windows 2003 clients to use VSS for snapshots instead of using VSP. The first client I used as a test had the following error, resulting in a Status 1:

29/02/2008 12:01:06 - Error bpbrm(pid=2876) from client gbedc-appsp03: ERR - failure reading file: Shadow Copy Components:\System State\System Files\System Files (BEDS 0xE000FEDF: A failure occurred reading an object.

The client is Windows 2003 SE / SP1, running NBU 6.0 MP4 (the same as my master & media server). I've used two backup polices, the first uses the 2003 directive ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and the second policy uses the 2003 directive Shadow Copy Components. I get the same error.

I also ran an NT backup on the same 2003 client and there are no errors in the nt backup log.

Is this Netbackup being weird, or is this something that I should be concerned about?

Any ideas guys?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

How to verify Windows Open File Backup operation using VSSADMIN

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283377.htm

Now I just have to get access to the Windows servers to try it out myself. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Colin,

In the NetBackup Administrator, go to the properties of the Master Server and select the category called Client Attributes (I am doing this from memory, so I maybe a little off).  It is here you will need to enter each client AND how you want it to handle an Open Files condition.  By default, it uses VSP, but for Windows 2003 Server, select to use VSS instead.

Colin_North
Level 6
Ron,
Thanks for the info, however I had already added my 2003 clients to the Master Server client attributes list and configured them for VSS backups.

I have a handful of 2003 clients (running Sharepoint 2007) that are backing up using VSS and all are OK except one client that fails the shadow copy components backup with the error that I previously posted.

I spoke to our sharepoint administrator today and he tells me that the server that's failing has some additional sharepoint components that could be causing this backup error. He is currently looking into this.

If I manage to fix this problem I'll post up the answers.

Colin.

Jim-m
Level 5
Win 2003 X64 may require patching we had some errrors (code 71) it was all about OS patches

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
A BEDS error indicates an underlying problem with the NetBackup client intrerfacing with a Windows component.  The error code usually does not give a clear indication of what the true problem is.  I would create the log folders (mklogdir), set level 5, stop the client, delete any old files, restart the client service, re-run the smallest backup (shadow copy components) that fails.

Then carefully check through the log file.
And/or Google for the BEDS error code.

HTH, Dave.

Colin_North
Level 6
Jim / Dave,
Thanks for the replies. We fixed it by reinstalling the client server (running sharepoint) and all is OK.

Windows eh?

Colin.

Rithesh
Level 4

Hi Colin,

You fixed it by reinstalling the netbackup client????

Coz for me the same issue happens for sharepoint server.

Awaiting for you reply.

Ritz

Rithesh
Level 4
somebody please advice on this!!!!!!!

sdo

Ritesh, if you're having problems with VSS, then try VSP.

Try searching this forum - there's lots of detail about VSS and VSP.

Is VSS even running?  What vssadmin commands have you tried?

There is a NetBackup tech note on how to diagnose whether VSS is working.  Have you followed this tech note through?

Rithesh
Level 4

hi,

i have tried with vssadmin list writers, which is fine & stable...

i am not tryin with VSp as i heard it takes up alot space while creating snapshot &  wont get cleared off...

please provide the technote details for  diagnose whether VSS is working.

Thanks

Ritz

sdo

You can search for the VSS doc here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=15143

VSP was slightly nasty on the earlier versions of NetBackup, but VSS used to be terrible.  VSP and VSS are okay these days, I'd say they're pretty much as stable as each other.  VSP was written by Veritas, because VSS was once so flakey. 

BTW, you can limit the size that VSP grows to, and you can limit which volumes to store the snap shot on.

Don't assume VSS is wonderful, as this too can eat disk and fill your volume if you have no limits set.  Can you be sure which is better without trying?

Rithesh
Level 4

hi,

that was good piece of advice...

I will check it out & let you know..

Thanks alot..

Ritz

Will_Restore
Level 6

How to verify Windows Open File Backup operation using VSSADMIN

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283377.htm

Now I just have to get access to the Windows servers to try it out myself. Smiley Wink