cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Reporter not conencting to NetBackup

Jimsus
Level 2
Hi there,
I've just installed Veritas Backup Reporter 6.5. But I could only find the admin and install guides for 6.0. I assume they are basically the same.
For starters, I just want to get it configured and working with one NetBackup installation, but plan to roll out to numerous remote locations dotted around the place.
I've installed VBR Management Server AND the VBR Agent on SERVERA. SERVERB is both a NetBackup 6.5 master and media server. I figure the agent on SERVERA can connect to SERVERB remotely to obtain information. If I am not mistaken, that's called a remote agent installation in the manual.
SERVERB's NetBackup install has SERVERA as an 'additional server that can access the currently selected host'.
I've configured an agent module by opening up the VBR console and navigating to: Settings > Global Settings > Agent configuration > Create.
The 'Do Not Qualify' option is selected as SERVERA and SERVERB use different DNS servers. SERVERA can resolve SERVERB's FQDN. Most other optins are left as per default on this screen bar Configuration Status, which is ticked all the way down so I can make reports on everything.
Problem is: The Agent Module status shows an error for each one of the information types I'm trying to configure. The error against each one is:
A2011: IOException happened when executing external process
This is the first time I have used this software and I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something that's easy to resolve...

6 REPLIES 6

TNCBG
Not applicable
I'm having the exact same problem.  I've been hammering on this all day.  I hope you're right, that it's something simple, it's got to be. 

All I'm trying to do is add a NBU Master server (RH Linux) to VBR.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Silly questions first: Were the NetBackup binaries installed on your Agent?

Did your configuration correctly reflect the architecture of the Agent (NetBackup-Solaris or NetBackup-Windows)?

Finally, although it hasn't gotten a lot of use we DO have a brand new VBR board over at https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=BackupReporter and you might want to try over there as well if your trouble is a little deeper than the shallow knowledge of the product I have.  Smiley Wink

creany
Level 3

Afternoon

you probably have a fix for this now. this bugged me for a few days myself. the solution I found was as follows. I opened up the err-0 log in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Veritas Backup Reporter\Agent\logs directory I found the following

Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: E:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpdbjobs -report -M xxxxxxxxxx -mastertime -all_columns error=193

the path to bpdbjobs.exe was correct. when i explored further i noticed a bpdbjobs file with no extension that was created 1 year ago. once i deleted this file the next time the agent polled it picked up all my backup jobs.

hope this helps

cheers

creany

Casey_King
Level 6

Reading through your post, I didn't see where you added your VBR server to the additional server list on your master server.  Needs to be added in the host properties of the master server where your media/additional servers are added.

As far as I can tell you did a good remote install.  I on the other hand did a local install and it worked pretty smooth.  Let me know about what I mentioned above and if that helps you out at all.  I don't remember if I had to stop/start NB services on the master server in order for the change to take place though.  It has been awhile.

creany
Level 3

Hi Casey

nice tip on the adding the vbr server to the server list on the master server.

The issue I had was the agent would run a task to populate all the jobs using bpdbjobs.exe. All the other tasks like media and images were running fine. In the same directory as bpdbjobs.exe was a file called bpdbjobs with no extension. this what gave me the error A2011: IOException happened when executing external process

thanks for the response

creany

Criss_R
Level 4
I was getting the same error message right after I had installed VBR. The issue was, that I did not have the correct path typed in the "Home Directory" and "Volume Manager Home" setting. The default is C:\Program Files/Veritas/NetBackup for the Home Directory, and C:\Program Files/Veritas/Volmgr for the Volume Manager Home locations. Once I corrected these settings, the agents started working. Some times it's the little things that get ya. Smiley Wink
Message Edited by Criss R on 08-25-2008 10:39 AM