cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Large Database Backup Using Netbackup

tbhatty
Level 2

Hello,

We have to backup an oracle database FRA of size 7TB. What would be the ideal setup to use to achieve a backup window of 16 hours?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

manatee
Level 6

a few weeks ago, i was having an issue backing up and Oracle db of size 2TB. taking 30 hours! now i've reduced it to less than 3 hours :)

what i did was to enable client-side dedup, allow multiple streams of channels in RMAN, and made my SLP policies to keep disk images for at least 2 days.

but most important is the Oracle DBA knows what he is doing!!

Great to know that, what was your setup i.e. were you using a separate netbackup server and DB machine was the NB client? If so how was the client connected to the media server, through LAN or SAN?

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you should give more information about yout backup infrastructure first.

E.g. which devices (disk, tape, dedup disk, etc.) you use, which parameters they have, and how are you able to connect this data to them (LAN, SAN Media Server, SAN Client, etc.)

Regards

Michal

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Probably related to this post?

Configure SAN Server on SPARC T3-2

As already mentioned it requires mutiple streams or channels in rman talk. What that is the correct number depends on the layout of the database and the infrastructure.

As always when doing Oracle backups it is a good to talk with the DBA as rman has a lot different tuning options.

Basically you need a throughput of at least 7340032 MB/(16*3600SEC) = 127 MB/SEC which is a little more than 1 Gbit

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue