cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing Oracle RMAN Backups on Administration Console

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4

Hi,

I have a backup policty which has type "oracle" and it calls and Oracle RMAN script to take database backups directly on to the tape. My database server is running on Red Hat Linux and i am able to backup or restore my backups to/from netbackups using RMAN, but, i am not able to view my backups from  "backups archive and restore" console. If i am not able to restore using RMAN, i would need to restore backups from the net backups server but i am not able to view backups. Can anyone help me that how to view my backups and restore ?

Thanks

Salman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

If you backed up the Oracle databases through RMAN, the restore is impossible by any methods other than RMAN.

You should back up the Oracle database files as a cold backup (Backup type as STANDARD, Not Oracle). And you restore them to  your another server.

Message Edited by S.H on 02-27-2009 06:54 PM

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

Try this.

1. Start BAR on the NBU client (Oracle DB server)
    # /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jbpSA

2. Select [Restore Files] tab.

3. Click [Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type for the backup or restore] botton.

4. Select items.
  * Server to use for backups and restores: [Master Server Name]
  * Source client for restores: [Client(Oracle DB server)]
  * Destination client for restores:  [Client(Oracle DB server)]
  * Policy type for restores: Oracle

Can you see the Oracle instance?

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4

Hi, Thanks a lot. It was really helpful but i have a question that if i loose my oracle database server and i have to prepare a new server and have to restore this backup of database to the new server, how would i accomplish this?

Thanks in advance

Salman

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

With NetBackup for Oracle you have the option to restore a database to a client other than the one that originally performed the backup.

Check the "Redirecting a restore to a different client" in the NetBackup for Oracle Admin Guide.

Salman_Qureshi
Level 4

HI,

It explains only restoring through RMAN. I don't want to use RMAN and want to restore the backup files as it is from the tape library to my another server.

Thanks

Salman

S_H1
Level 5
Partner

If you backed up the Oracle databases through RMAN, the restore is impossible by any methods other than RMAN.

You should back up the Oracle database files as a cold backup (Backup type as STANDARD, Not Oracle). And you restore them to  your another server.

Message Edited by S.H on 02-27-2009 06:54 PM