cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual tap library and NB6

Level 3
Accredited
I have a HP storageworks 6800 Virtual library system emulating a virtual HP 5000 Medium changer single drive and I also have a pyhsical HP Storageworks 5000 Tape library with two drives. These are running on NB 6.0 Enterprise server. I am trying to design a policy to move the backup from the virutal medium changer to the physical tape library....more or less like disk staging, the only problem is that I cant configure disk staging because the devices are both recognized as tape libraries. the virtual one having nine terabytes and the physical is limited to 25 tapes.

Anyway to cut the story short..is there a way of configuring staging betwen two tape libraries?
4 REPLIES 4

DavidParker
Level 6
You'll need to 'Duplicate' the images from the VTL to the actual tapes.

There are 2 ways to do this: write some customized scripts or purchase the Vault Option.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Two option you have

1) Use duplication, either through catalog/scripts or using Vault

2) check with your VTL vendor/documentation if they support Direct Tape Creation, which means you connect your physical tape library to VTL and VTL syncs up Virutal tape barcode with Physical barcode and take care of tape cloning/export from virtual to physical.

Level 3
Accredited
among my many licences available I have the following

Robotic Library Sharing Support (4)

Inline Tape Copy (3)

SSO

Idont know if these can help me in any way...we purchased lots of licenses and agents but did not buy the vault option.

are there any sample scripts that will help me import my backups from the VTL to Physical tape?

Also I checked with my vendor, my VTL does not support any duplication via bar codes and all.

DavidParker
Level 6
Inline Tape Copy lets you write 2 (or more) copies at the same time (if you had enough drives, you could write to 2 tapes at once; or you could write to 2 different libraries)

SSO lets you share the same tape drive between multiple media servers.

(I use both of these options in my environment)

You won't need to "Import" your backups on the VTL, because NetBackup already knows about them (you only "import" when NBU doesn't know about something).

Take a look through the Commands Guide and read the section about 'bpduplicate'; once you know how that command runs, it's pretty easy to build a script or batch that runs the command.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279299
VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 Commands for UNIX