cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vm Restoration

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hello Experts,

We have to restore a virtual machine. we can see all its Cumulative backups that were done on the past last 6 days but no Full backup can be seen in last 6

days.

we restored the Vmware backups from cumulative (Oldest and Newest)  its successfully restored on NBU console but other team can not turn it on that is the problem(Its stuck on system revovery option after boot)  thats why we are restoring it from last backup.

So my question is as its a cumulative backup and there is no  full backup in the last week thats why it can not restore the data.

Pls help.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would personally not even try to restore any kind of Incr backup without a full. Have you tried to check why there is no Full? What does the policy schedule(s) look like? When last did a Full schedule run and what was the status?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I would personally not even try to restore any kind of Incr backup without a full. Have you tried to check why there is no Full? What does the policy schedule(s) look like? When last did a Full schedule run and what was the status?

H_Sharma
Level 6

Hi Marianne,

I checked this server was initially on windows flat file Policy no VM backup. Last Week this server was added to New Policy that was VM backup.

In this policy new policy schedule it has only cumulative backup since the last date 22nd and Full backup turn has not come yet. Thats why it has all the cumulative schedules.

But as far as I know the first backup of this VM Server that is added into new policy should be full that was on 22nd if there is no any previous backup full backup.

Your Expert advice please.

I am also suspecting that is why we are unable to restore it from 22nd backup. Restore is success on netbackup 2-3 times but eventually it can not be turned on by OS team.

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Yes the first backup should always be full.. Have you tried restoring only the backup that was done on 22nd ?

areznik
Level 5

Its possible that the VM was corrupted for a long time and you only noticed it when you tried to reboot, so its possible that all of your backups contain the same corruption. Try your oldest VM backup and hope it works. 

manatee
Level 6

i've always thought you cannot do any cumulative or differential backups without a fullbackup as a baseline.

try to look for the next oldest full backup then.