cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Group Media Type

Colin_North
Level 6

I am running NBU 6.5.6 on Windows 2003 and I am about to upgrade to 7.1 in the next week or so. I have 4 volume groups (2 onsite / 2 offsite) and recently I discovered that the media type for one of these has changed to "HC2_CLN" and previously was HCART2.

Nobody here has changed this (looks like you cannot do this from the GUI anyway), and I cannot find a way to change this myself - either via the GUI or command line.

Any ideas?

Colin.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup will not just one day decide all on it's own to change media type.

Please check barcode rules as a start: '<install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin\vmrule -listall'

Colin_North
Level 6

Marienne,

I appreciate what you are saying, but NetBackup does have a habit of doing some strange things, so I would not be surprised if it had changed this setting somehow.

I had previously checked the barcode rules, and there was one set up for a cleaning tape years ago for the particular robot in question, but I deleted this yesterday. The last time I checked the volume groups (a while ago), they all had a media type of HCART2.

I think a call to support is required.

Thanks, Colin.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you found a barcode rule and only deleted that yesterday - what will the support call be for?

NetBackup does what it is told - it does NOT decide to change the rules all by itself on a day when it feels like mis-behaving....

You will need VERBOSE entry in vm.conf of robot control host and some (or all) of the logs in the following folders:

volmgr\debug\daemon
volmgr\debug\ltid
volmgr\debug\reqlib
volmgr\debug\robots

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Just wondering if the contents of that volume group were "moved" to another (e.g. standalone) then the robot re-inventoried with AUTO_GENERATE in the Robot Inventory/Advanced Settings/'Media which have been moved into or within the robot should be assigned to the volume group:' ? Maybe the first to be picked up was the cleaning cartridge & so the media type has been set to HC_CLN? Just a thought, not something I've come across before (altho' checking my VG's our media types are HCART3 for robot & HCART for standalone - we haven't had HCART for some years now!)