cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird 156 error

David_McWilliam
Level 2
Over the weekend I have a backup fail on one of my PC's with a error code 156.I do not have 'Advanced Settings' selected with in the policy. I have ac:\NBU_VSP_Cache directory on the machine and my C: drive filled up. Does anyone know hoe this may have happened and, more importantly, how to stop it happening again?
5 REPLIES 5

Zainal_Arifin
Level 3
Hi,

I thing you must be make sure Customize the cache sizes in the VSP cache setting not selected.

Regards

Zainal

DavidParker
Level 6
A 156 error is caused by the Windows Open File Backup option (which is on by default).
Sometimes, for various reasons, the temporary cache file (.vsp or .tmp) will not be released and deleted when the backup job completes. Unfortunately it usually takes a reboot to free those files up; though there are some applications that may be of assistance to free them up (can't remember what they are offhand).

Customizing the size of the cache file to something small can help out, but mostly it will only delay the problem's resurfacing.

Your best option is to disable Open File Backups.

To do so, go to your master server's Admin Console.
Expand the Host Properties section.
Expand the Master Servers section.
Double-click the appropriate master server to bring up the Host Properties screen.
On the Host Properties screen, go to the Client Attributes section.
Create an entry for the client in question (the entry must match the name of the client exactly).
Once the client has been added, click on the Open File Backup tab.
De-select the Use Open File Backups option.

Hope that helps.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi David,

The default for VSP is to allow the cache file to grow to 30GB. For nearly all situations this is totally impractical. If you must use VSP then your best option is to "tune" it and set the default initial size, and the maximum allowed size. An initial size of 500MB and a maximum of 1000MB is usually enough. Only rarely will the maximum need to be higher. As ever, Symantec/Veritas have applied a one size fits all approach that doesn't actually suit all situations - in fact, I hazard a guess that you don't have many long time production servers with that much disk space free on any volume, so you actually risk interrupting (corrupting?) business applications by leaving the default settings in place.

N.B. The VSP drive exclusion list actually means two things:
1) Do not use VSP to secure the drive(s) listed - and....
2) Do not store a VSP cache file on the listed volumes.
.e.g If I enter C in the VSP exclusion list, then VSP will not be used to secure the C drive, and a VSP cache file will not be stored on the C drive when securing any other drive. My recommendation is to always specify C in the exclusion list, as this speeds up backups. I have never seen any difference between a backup that uses VSP to secure the C drive and a backup that has it excluded. The same busy files are always reported whether VSP is used or not, thus there's no need.

Another good reason to exclude the C drive from VSP is that VSP waits for a quiet moment on disks before it can create its cache file, and this again delays backups. Windows is very chatty on the C: drive, and in quite a few situations VSP busy wait timeout expires anyway, and thus a cache file doesn't get created (on another volume). Also, if you don't specify C in the exclusion list, then it is possible that the C drive gets used to cache writes for another volume - thus you will effectively be slowing down your system drive with many writes for another volume. This is not good for critical applications.

If there is a specific reason for using VSP, then the best situation is to have a completely separate drive to be used purely for holding the temporary cache file, but you will also need to exclude this particular drive from backups, and ensure that you do not use the "spare" drive for any other purposes.

If you use any anit-virus products then I strongly recommend that you exclude:
for v5.x: Z:\*.vsp
for v6.0: Z:\_vspcache
(please double check these file and folder specifications - I think they're right.)
...from the anti-virus scanning, as A/V products lock onto the cache files and wait for them to close, but VSP can't close the file because A/V has a lock, and thus after a deadlock timeout, VSP fails, and the fcache file gets left behind. This behaviour can also happen when VSP runs of of disk space whilst it allocates up to 30GB of disk space.

In summary:
VSP slows backups down (extra overhead and processing).
VSP causes unneccessary delays (initial wait for quiesce and waits for busy/locked files).
VSP causes excessive I/O (at least double the amount of disk writes, i.e. not only the natural write, but also a copy write to the cache file).

My $0.02.

Normally there's no need at all to use VSP, VSS or OTM. It's simply there because Symantec/Veritas choose to install and enable it by default. I have never seen any benefit from using VSP - only problems. The early version of v5.1 and v6.0 are notorious for isses with Windows O/S - and only the later MP packs, with a few key MS updates managed to get VSP to be fairly stable.

My recommended settings are:
a) Always exclude C.
b) Always set maximum initial size to 500MB (don't use the %age disk space option)
c) Always set the maximum size to 1000MB (i.e. 1GB).
d) Reduce the busy file wait from default 300 seconds to 30 seconds.
e) Set this for all Windows clients running v5.x and above.

I've had great success applying these settings at one site for all of over 80 different Windows clients (2000, 2003, Domino, Exchange, File/Print servers, SQL servers, proxy servers, web servers, FTP servers, monitoring servers, etc...). Only two clients (one of them a RIS server) actually required a larger maximum cache size of 3GB.

If you still have issues on any particular client, then try as David Parker described and completely disable VSP for the client in quiestion by using the client attributes properties on the master server.

Regards,
Dave.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Lot of Davids in this post.

David Rawson,
Nice post! Welcome to the forum.
Keep the good info coming......

Bob Stump

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hi Forum,
...and thanks Bob :)

Back to VSP and possible/usual causes of failed backups due to locked cache files... Different NetBackup client version have different locations and names for their VSP cache files. I would normally apply the following exclusions to anti-virus s/w:

for NBU v4.5 clients: *:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.tmp
for NBU v5.0 clients: (unknown)
for NBU v5.1 clients: *:\VSPCache*.vsp
for NBU v6.0 clients: *:\NBU_VSP_Cache\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.vsp

N.B. v4.5 and v5.x clients write their VSP file in the root of the volume, whereas v6.0 clients write the VSP file in a folder.

Can anyone confirm the location/name of v5.0 VSP cache files, and confirm whether the other file specs are correct?

Thanks,
Dave.