Level 6
What is the best way for what?

JD

zippy
Level 6
have you rebooted it yet?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Correct procedures for powering down and powering up the following equipment: Tape Libraries, Storage Area Network equipment (i.e. SAN switches, SAN bridges), Tape Drives, and master/media servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265943

Gujion_Wake
Level 4
Yes, best way to start server when san is attached

Gujion_Wake
Level 4
yes, rebooting has been done today.

Gujion_Wake
Level 4

Gujion_Wake
Level 4

Gujion_Wake
Level 4
yes, reboot of server is today. Done today early.

Gujion_Wake
Level 4

Gujion_Wake
Level 4

Gujion_Wake
Level 4
yes, reboot early today.

zippy
Level 6
Gujion,

Gee Bob, your answer looks like my answer from the other day.

At least I have the courtesy in the past to let you try to answer first. The gloves come off!

your servers are configured within a SAN, then......

Shutdown sequence of the servers in the backup enviroment can be done in any order.

But

Startup in a SAN is a bit different then a NON SAN attached enviroment.

1 Check that all servers are off
2 Bring Tape library up first
3 Fibre Scsi router next if you have one, sometimes these blades are incorperated into the tape library.
4 Start Maser Server check hardware (tape Drives and HBA interfaces)
5 Start Media Servers

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4442418줲

JD

Gujion_Wake
Level 4
Thank you, i will try both ways tomorrow morning. Sorry for posts to many times.

zippy
Level 6
Try it now!

JD

Gujion_Wake
Level 4
I can not but thank you.

zippy
Level 6
Thanks for the points Guijon!

Na na na na na na! Bob!

JD

Stumpr2
Level 6
Wake,
You have only posted 4 questions to this forum and have awarded James with 60 points?

LOL

Please, Can I be your friend too?
BTW: Do you know Doug Burton?I want to be your friend too!

Stumpr2
Level 6
James,
I'm sorry, but I am not jumping in to steal away your points. This forum is posting weird! Timelines get all screwey. Tell you what. I will not post for the rest of this day. OK?

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
Hi guys

I guess the below mentioned procedure does assist you in some way or the other.

Correct procedures for powering down and powering up the following equipment: Tape Libraries, Storage Area Network equipment (i.e. SAN switches, SAN bridges), Tape Drives, and master/media servers
These hardware procedures document the steps that should be taken/followed when a shutdown of the backup hardware is needed. Two scenarios follow: the first is a Tape Library direct SCSI attached to the master/media server. The second is for a Storage Area Network (SAN) environment.

Scenario 1 -- Power Down Procedures
1. Follow the operating system procedures to shut down the operating system and then switch off the server
2. Power down the tape library device and tape drives

Scenario 1 -- Power Up Procedures
1. Switch on the tape library and tape drives, making sure they have completed their initialization processes, before proceeding to step 2
2. Switch on the server hardware. During the power on process for Intel servers, the SCSI adapter will scan the SCSI bus and report what devices it found.

Scenario 2 -- Power Down Procedures
1. Power down the SAN switch
3. Power down the SAN fibre channel bridge. If the bridge is integrated/inside the tape library, it may have a separate power switch or will be shutdown when the library is shutdown.
4. Power down the tape library device or stand alone tape drive.

Scenario 2 -- Power Up Procedures
1. Power on the SAN switch
2. Power on the tape library and any tape drives
3. Power on the SAN fibre channel bridge. If the bridge is integrated/inside the tape library, it may have a separate power switch or be powered on when the tape library is powered on
4. Power on the server

Special Issues:

If either the tape library or tape drives in the scenarios above require service which includes powering off the device, then the servers must be rebooted to re-establish the SCSI bus or SAN communication between the operating system and the tape library, bridge device, or tape drives. There could be cases when the tape library has been rebooted and the operating system has the functionality to scan the SCSI bus and the connection maybe re-established. For example, on Windows 2000 and 2003 servers, the Plug and Play feature may find the device and work correctly. The Windows device manager should always be checked to verify the medium changer and the tape drives are being seen and there is a driver loaded for each tape device. If there is a question regarding the communication between the server and the tape library, a good test to run is to uninstall the device and then have the operating system scan for hardware changes. If the communication between the server and the tape library or tape drives is working correctly, then the device will be found and device manager will display it.

Chiao
Ankur Kumar