cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to backup SAP application on a virtual machine online?

Sanya
Level 3

Hi Team,

I will perform a POC for a customer wherein the SAP application is running on aVMware  virtual machine. They want an online backup for the SAP application. Is VMware agent enough? The database is Sybase which is also running on a virtual machine.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Sanya

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

VMware backup does not take the backup of SAP.

vmware backup(VADP) only support to take the backup of DBs,

share point,

SQL 

Exchage.

you need to have the netbackup installed on the VMware and configure the SAP backup as you configure for regular Physical host.

Sanya
Level 3

Thanks for the input. So I need to install Standard Client for each SAP Virtual Machine to back it up online?

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

yes, and then you need to follow the configuration that is avaliable on the netbackup SAP admin guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5176

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to install normal Client software on each SAP vm. Client software includes all agents and options.

Add NetBackup for SAP license (licensed per tiered client) on the master server to enable SAP policy type.

Sanya
Level 3

Ok. My last question is, do we still need SAP agent even if the database is Sybase? Or is Standard client enough to backup the SAP VM online.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Apologies.

NBU SAP agent is only for Oracle and MaxDB databases.

You need the Sybase agent to backup databases. 
Standard Client will not be enough.

You need Application and Database agent license to enable Sybase backup policy type.

Sanya
Level 3

Thanks Marianne.

I understand now that i need the Sybase agent to backup the database online.  Now, how can I backup the SAP application online if it's on a virtual machine?