cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I *upgrade* Netbackup from 7.1 to 7.5 will I be required to enter license keys?

sclind
   VIP   

I have three Netbackup master servers (Windows, AIX, and HP-UX) each at 7.1.0.4.  I  am going to upgrade these to 7.5 then to 7.5.0.7.

I have downloaded all the software from File-Connect.  I have sixteen emails from Symantec containing dozens of 7.5 license codes.  It does not seem possible to determine from the emails which license codes belong to which systems.  Most times the descriptions do not even indicate which OS the license code is for.

It appears that I may not be asked for these codes during the upgrade (I am at 7.1 so I don't know how that applies to this statement):

About NetBackup license compatibility

To use your current NetBackup license keys to upgrade servers, add-on products, and database agents to NetBackup 7.5, the following are required:

■ NetBackup versions 6.x or 7.0.x must already be installed.
 ■ You must have a valid maintenance contract for all licensed NetBackup products.

Since I meet all these criteria I am wondering if someone who has gone through this upgrade can tell me if they were asked for the codes.  I dont want to have a failed upgrade due to license codes.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You will be asked for codes, but if you have 7.1 licenses you can just use those. It won't unlock new features with old licenses.

You can just enter one of the base licenses for 7.5 to activate the new features. If you're not sure which one it is, just use any one - you can change licensing later using get_license_key command to list your licenses, delete or add.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You will be asked for codes, but if you have 7.1 licenses you can just use those. It won't unlock new features with old licenses.

You can just enter one of the base licenses for 7.5 to activate the new features. If you're not sure which one it is, just use any one - you can change licensing later using get_license_key command to list your licenses, delete or add.

Hope this helps.

sclind
   VIP   

Ok - so if I understand correctly I will have to enter at least one code.  If I pick any of the ones called "SYMC NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE SERVER 7.5 UNX 1 SERVER" I should be OK?

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes that's correct.