cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Netbackup Licensing Model are we on?

LicenceAnalyst
Level 2

Hi All,

I am a newbie in the Licensing world and would appreciate if someone would be so kind to assist in anyway with my queries below. 

1.) For our existing estate with Netbackup, how do i know which licensing model we are on? Is it written down somewhere or who would be able to assist? I have gone through all our renewal certificates and cannot find any mention of it!

2.) Secondly, we are planning on expanding our estate and require NetBackup Licenses purchased for the following. What licences and how many would we need to buy? & which is the best licensing Model in terms of cost effectiveness?

1x Master Server (Virtual); 4x Media Servers (Physical); VM Cluster with 18x Hosts; 2x Tape Libraries; StoreOnce Dedupe using 120 TB.

Many Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @LicenceAnalyst 

Your renewnal should help you indentify the licensing model you are currently on. 

If the renewal mentions a phrase like "NetBackup Platform base.." and provides a per TB license, then you are on a capacity licensing model (could permenant or subscription). If on the otherhand there are a number of items indicating "NetBackup Enterprise Server", and "NetBackup Std Client...", "NetBackup Advanced Client..." and such like, then you are on a traditional model - the traditional model may also include a line item "NetBackup Deduplication Data Protection Optimzation..." line with a TB count.

If you are on the capacity licensing, then you are free to deploy any NetBackup feature, the license count is based on the front end TB (or protected data you are backing up). 

If you are on the traditional model, then you may have to convert to a capacity based model, as I believe that the new traditional licenses are no longer sold (with possibly some exceptions). 

Your nest bet (as @Nicolai suggests) is to ask this question from the supplier that sends you the invoices for NetBackup renewals - they will be able to guide you correctly. 

Cheers
David

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi @LicenceAnalyst 

1: You should ask to the see the contract begin made with either Veritas or a reseller. The renewal certificate should state the license module your are on. See slide 5 in the license guide.

Veritas NetBackupTM 10 Licensing Guide

https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/nbu/10.0/windowsandunix/productguides/pdf/NBU10_LicensingG...

2: You should contact a authorized Netbackup reseller or Veritas for a answer to that question.

DoctorRob
Level 2
Employee

You can run /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpminlicense -verbose and get the installed license details.

Rob

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @LicenceAnalyst 

Your renewnal should help you indentify the licensing model you are currently on. 

If the renewal mentions a phrase like "NetBackup Platform base.." and provides a per TB license, then you are on a capacity licensing model (could permenant or subscription). If on the otherhand there are a number of items indicating "NetBackup Enterprise Server", and "NetBackup Std Client...", "NetBackup Advanced Client..." and such like, then you are on a traditional model - the traditional model may also include a line item "NetBackup Deduplication Data Protection Optimzation..." line with a TB count.

If you are on the capacity licensing, then you are free to deploy any NetBackup feature, the license count is based on the front end TB (or protected data you are backing up). 

If you are on the traditional model, then you may have to convert to a capacity based model, as I believe that the new traditional licenses are no longer sold (with possibly some exceptions). 

Your nest bet (as @Nicolai suggests) is to ask this question from the supplier that sends you the invoices for NetBackup renewals - they will be able to guide you correctly. 

Cheers
David

LicenceAnalyst
Level 2

Thank you David and everyone else who have taken their time to provide a response. We do have a number of items along lines of: "NetBackup Enterprise Server", and "NetBackup Std Client...", "NetBackup Advanced Client..." and "NetBackup Deduplication Data Protection Optimzation..." line with a TB count so we must be on the Traditional model. Just for clarity though will reach out to the supplier and seek guidance.

KR.