cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Is Bpcoverage Process Running

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

Master server is 7.1.0.4 Windows.  I was trying to patch NetBackup when I got a pop up message that stated bpcoverage.exe was still running and needed to be stopped.  I thought bpcoverage was no longer in existence.  When I checked task manager, there were 8 bpcoverage processes running and I couldn't end them.  I even tried pskill but that didn't work either.  I had to reboot the server in order to patch it.  This incident reminded me that I have seen this before on this master server but never looked into it.  Why would there be numerous (or any) bpcoverage processes running in task manager?

Has anyone else seen this?  Check your master server.

Thanks,
Randy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

This command is also used by  check_coverage  script to generate a report.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The only thing I can think of is that it has been run manually.

As far as I know NBU doesn't run bpcoverage, so this is the only possibility.

It shouldn't be hanging, so I suspect there was some issue, so the command was run multiple times.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I can't think of anything else ...

Martin

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

I have renamed bpcoverage for now and let's see if that breaks anything.  I didn't think NBU would run it so it helps hearing someone else agree.

I'll update in a couple of days if that resolves the issue.  I just checked my master server and there's already one bpcoverage process running.  I'll have to reboot to get it to stop and hopefully renaming the file will resolve this for now.

Will_Restore
Level 6

This command is also used by  check_coverage  script to generate a report.

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

CHECK_COVERAGE!!  That's the one I was thinking of.  I'm renaming that one too now.

Thanks Will

Will_Restore
Level 6

Please select the post which helped you come to a Solution

rsamora
Level 5
Certified

@wr, renaming the bpcoverage.exe seems to have resolved he issue.  I didn't want to toot my own horn so I didn't mark my reply as the solution :)  I'll tag anyone else if they want the points.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

but did you find out what was actually calling it (or check_coverage) numerous times?

(There's probably a log somewhere building up as we speak saying "Failed to run bpcoverage.exe. No such file or directory."!!)

You can toot your own horn as much as you like if it's the solution! wink