cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't MSDPs and Appliances alert when an "AffectedBackups.lst" file is created?

D_Flood
Level 6

I have three 5220's (yes, I know I need to upgrade since 7.7.3 has killed their performance/throughput), one 5230, and several Windows MSDP's.

Recently I've had some data losses due to power issues, fat fingers, and interrupted AIR sessions (don't get me started on the ways that 7.7.3 has messed up AIR).  And the occasional datacheck has kicked out an AffectedBackup.lst file.  But there was no alert, no flag, nothing, until I overrode the idiot protection and actually went and looked at the directory where the datacheck files are.

Why have a process to identify bad images that doesn't then alert?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

That's a great question, and honestly I've never thought about it.

Let me see if I can get an answer.  It may require an enhancement request, but I'll look into it.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

That's a great question, and honestly I've never thought about it.

Let me see if I can get an answer.  It may require an enhancement request, but I'll look into it.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Thanks for the update.  And please don't forget Windows/Unix MSDP's also.

It should (yes I know that word's loaded) be easy to add code to the existing program that writes the file to also send a copy of the file out as an email...

With appliances it will be easier to do, because we wouldn't have to write any code into NBU, we should be able to simply add a monitor for that file to the appliance.  On BYO, it's harder, and frankly there's likely to be less appetite for that -- you can monitor a directory for a file lots of ways on lots of OSes.  Us building one for each that we support is unlikely, but we'll see what can be done.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances