cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 2003 x64 Server support

Andre_Blumberg
Level 3
Which NetBackup release will support Windows 2003 x64 edition (64-bit) for both Client + Server?
When will this be available?

Thanks,
Andre.
17 REPLIES 17

Stumpr2
Level 6
Here is a link to the compatibility matrix:
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/263839.pdf

Andre_Blumberg
Level 3
Bob, that compatibility matrix doesn't address the question, it only lists 32-bit versions of the OS.

I'd like to know when Veritas supports the 64-bit version which was released in April 2005 already.

Thanks,
Andre.

Stumpr2
Level 6
yeah, I wasn't sure what you meant.
I didn't know if this applied:
SERVER 2003, SERVER 2003 SP1
Intel Itanium IA-64
Client 5.0
Server 5.1

Windows 2003 Itanium 64-bit support for NetBackup server is introduced with NetBackup 5.1. Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR), Global Data Manager and Advanced Reporter are not supported.

Anyway thats why I provided the link so that you could see for yourself instead of me giving out wrong information :)

Andre_Blumberg
Level 3
Hi Bob,

I'm looking for support of Windows 2003 x64 64-bit Server platform. This is for AMD Opteron (AMD64) or Intel EM64T hardware. It's different from IA64.

The matrix under the link you provided only talks about 32-bit Windows on such AMD64 / EM64T hardware. We need the x64 64-bit Windows operating system supported by NetBackup (both Client + Server).

Any roadmaps available for NBU 6.0 / 6.0 MP1 / 6.0 MP2 along those lines?

Andre.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Have you seen the white paper?
http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_6_tech_overview_wp_060105.pdf

VERITAS continues to improve NetBackup in the areas of scalability, improved disk backup capabilities, and product integration. The following list identifies many of the new NetBackup 6.0 features and enhancements that will be available to NetBackup users:
• NetBackup Advanced Client Enhancements
• NetBackup Bare Metal Restore (BMR)

AKopel
Level 6
We are backing up both IA64 and x64.
IA64 is included with the original media under PC_Clnt\IA64.
x64 is supported with the normal x86 (32-bit) client.
We are using NBU 5.0 MP5.

x64 refers to both EMT64 and AMD64 platforms.

Message was edited by:
Aaron KopelMessage was edited by:
Aaron Kopel

Andre_Blumberg
Level 3
Aaron,
we need to install the 64-bit version of the OS on x64 AMD64 hardware (HP ProLiant DL585).
Are you saying NBU Server is supported to run as a 32-bit program on a 64-bit x64 Windows operating system?
Andre.

AKopel
Level 6
That's correct.
Starting with 5.0 MP3. I even called support to verify.

Byron_Choy
Not applicable
Hi Aaron. I try to install NetBackup 5.1 MP3 to a server running x64 OS (i.e. AMD64). There is no problem to the installation. However, the server "NetBackup Volume Manager" could not start. Error message logged in the application event log is "unable to obtain bound socket, no port number available for vmd (0)" and "terminating - daemon cannot obtain socket (58)".

Do you have any idea? Is it related to W2K3 SP1 security feature?

Regards.
Byron.

AKopel
Level 6
Ahh! You are trying to install a media server. I have not tested this... I have only installed the client software. According to the support matrix, it should work. Do you have the firewall enabled with SP1? If not, you should not have any problems with the SP1 upgrade. We are running all of our media and master servers on SP1. If you do have the firewall enabled, there is a firewall configuration document you can look at to see what you need to open up for Netbackup.

Andre_Blumberg
Level 3
Hi Aaron,
yes it is about both Server and Client version of NBU (as per the very first initial post above).

Can you please confirm that in your environment you run the 64-bit Windows Server x64 operating system version (emphasis on 64-bit), as opposed a 32-bit Windows Server OS (both 64-bit and 32-bit OS can be installed on AMD64 / EM64T hardware).

Thanks,
Andre.

AKopel
Level 6
Yes,
we are running an HP Proliant DL385 which has AMD64 Opteron Processors, and we are running Windows Server 2003 x64 edition on them. But we are ONLY running the client software. We are not using the server for a master server or media server. We are running all of our master and media servers on 32-bit hardware with the normal 32-bit Windows Server 2003.

Jose_Henrique_M
Level 2
Hi,

Just looked at the compatibility matrix and they now support the client for the 5.1 MP4 on x64 hardware with a 64bit OS.

Does anyone know when they will release a server or media server for x64 Win 2003?

Is there a beta version or at least a roadmap for 5.x or 6.x?

Thanks,
Jose Henrique

Danilo_Confesso
Not applicable
Somebody has new features on the installation of the NBU in servers WIN2003 x64?

Ankur_Kumar_2
Level 2
Hi Andre,
Theres a work around for this known issue, the POA is

1) go to C:
2) go to windows
3)go to SYSWOW64
4) go to drivers
5) go to etc ( if not available, copy the contents and files from the /drivers/etc/ folder and paste em. )
6) in the host file, make the entry of the master server ip
7)Install the client
8) The only problem which you qwould be facing is the backup of the system components.

I hope the above mentioned POA resolves your issue.
till them so long, pal.

stephen_wheeler
Not applicable
Just as a point of interest. Netbackup client 5.1 would not install on one of our 64bit Win2003 Enterprise servers until I had copied /system32/drivers/etc into Syswow64/drivers.

Ankur_Kumar
Level 5
As per support NB6.0 would be addressing the issue, I aint sure will follow up on this.

Warmest Regards
Ankur Kumar