Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows account and Netbackup SQL Agent account

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Guys,

I have a situation. We already have an account 'backupuser' which has got sysadmin rights on SQL databases. Backups are running, I can login through backupuser and configure backups and run restores. However when I use my userid to login into windows server and then use backupuser as userid for SQL server standard and Mixed security. I am unable to open Netbackup GUI for SQL agent. My id has admin rights, I have open the GUI with run as administrator. Windows server is a 2008 and SQL server version is 2012. I am having NBU 7.5.0.6

In the GUI at the top it says Windows account as my userid and I am using backupuser to pass through SQL server.

Is it necessary to use the same id to login into both windows server and Netbackup GUI?

Does my userid needs to be given sysadmin?

What's the logic behind all this? Is it your windows account tied up with SQL server?

Thanks

Sid

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Q:Didn't get that clearly, is it specified somewhere to use standard or integrated security?

A: SQL Server uses standard or integrated authentication https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/247931. If you're using a windows account to logon to the DB its called integrated, if you use some account like SA, then its standard.

What do you want to troubleshoot? If you want to logon to the SQL server and look at logs then please do so. If you want to logon to the SQL server and run a test backup, then the user you're logging on with needs SYSDBA privileges so it can open the MS SQL Agent , make a connection to the database, and perform backups/restores.

Once you logon with the user with SYSDBA privilege you can set the database connection properties if its pops up and prompts you. You DO NOT need to enter a password, just press apply.

Clear?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When you say you can not open the SQL agent GUI, is there any error you get or it fails to open? Can you please provide screenshot to better understand

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

It opens but it asks for userid password

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi Sid,

You don't actually need to put in the password there, that area is only if you're using SQL authentication (i.e. sa account).

Just login with the backup account, then open the properties, make sure the correct db/instance is selected, and click apply. Close that window and then make your script, run your backups.

From the SQL Admin guide

If you use integrated security, the Windows account you log into is used for authentication. SQL Server ignores any user ID and password that you enter in the NetBackup MS SQL Client or in a batch file.

If you use standard security, then you must supply NetBackup for SQL Server with a SQL Server-based user ID and password. Once you provide these credentials, NetBackup stores this information in the registry (the password is encrypted) under the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NETBACKUP\NetBackup for Microsoft SQL Server\

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified
Hi Riaan, Thanks for the reply and clarification Now how do I check if we have integrated or standard security in place? What I want it to be changed to standard security?how to do it Is integrated what Symantec recommends

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified
Hi Riaan, Thanks for the reply and clarification Now how do I check if we have integrated or standard security in place? What I want it to be changed to standard security?how to do it Is integrated what Symantec recommends

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

This is set on the database when install it, but basically, since you can logon with Windows account it means you're using (windows) integrated.

Just login with the backup account and then set it by pressing apply. If you're going to be logging in with your account a lot to create scripts for backup and restore i would suggest you give yourself the correct permission. Otherwise login with backup account.

Sid1987
Level 6
Certified

Hi Riaan,

Didn't get that clearly, is it specified somewhere to use standard or integrated security?

Both are windows account, backup account is provided with SQL database sysadmin permissions but not my account.

If i add my account to sysadmin then it is same as backup account, but i want to use my account to troubleshoot and login into windows server and use backup account which has sysadmin rights but no logon access.

Thanks

Sid

RiaanBadenhorst

Q:Didn't get that clearly, is it specified somewhere to use standard or integrated security?

A: SQL Server uses standard or integrated authentication https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/247931. If you're using a windows account to logon to the DB its called integrated, if you use some account like SA, then its standard.

What do you want to troubleshoot? If you want to logon to the SQL server and look at logs then please do so. If you want to logon to the SQL server and run a test backup, then the user you're logging on with needs SYSDBA privileges so it can open the MS SQL Agent , make a connection to the database, and perform backups/restores.

Once you logon with the user with SYSDBA privilege you can set the database connection properties if its pops up and prompts you. You DO NOT need to enter a password, just press apply.

Clear?