Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows reconfigures VERITAS NetBackup

NewUsr
Level 2
Hi!

I'm getting a weird one.

Everytime I want to edit a schedule of a backup policy I get a message box saying 'Please wait while Windows configures VERITAS NetBackup'. All services are shut down, and  I have to startup NetBackup again.

Environment:  NetBackup 6.0 MP 4 on a master server, two media servers. Windows 2003 Enterprise Server SP2. Upgrade from NBU 5.1 MP4, database moved from former master server to a new one.

I'm considering reinstallation, but i'm told it's a tough one.

Please help me. I need a piece of good advice here.

Kind Regards
3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
AFAIK this only happens on Windows based NetBackup servers.

Sounds to me like someone has removed/deleted or renamed/moved one or more core file(s) of NetBackup.

When NetBackup cannot find a file that it expects the WIndows Installer gets called and this shuts down NetBackup.

I had exact same problem, and we found that someone had renamed one of the "notify" command files.

We found that we didn't have a file called:
<install-path>\NetBackup\bin\userreq_notify.cmd

....but we did have a file called:
<install-path>\NetBackup\bin\user_req_notify.cmd

...note the extra "_" underscore between "user" and "req".

So, all we did was rename the file back to what it should be (after checking the contents of course) and problem went away.

If your problem isn't to do with "userreq" then I would supose another file may be missing.

I'd check through the sys/app/sec event logs for more details maybe.

Regards,
Dave.

NewUsr
Level 2
Hi and Thanx Dave!

I've been working with the problem all morning today and concluded eventually: Reinstall NetBackup without deletion of catalogs, databases etc. Now the problem seems to be solved, and I can edit all my policy schedules without the annoying message box.

It also seems to have taken care of my other problem with my tape storage; when I restarted NetBackup I would always have to run the Device Configuration Wizard in order to show my drives. That's no longer nessesary.

I placed an issue with Symantec, but you know how long you'll have to wait for a reply from them.

Kind reg's

Stumpr2
Level 6
Thanks for the update.