cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up an encrypted volume

goof1427
Not applicable

thank you for your time.  I am in need of some help in regards to do a file level restore on an encrypted volume. We have a 3rd party app that encrypts the volume on the windows file server.  The volume resides on a NetApp.  we used NDMP to do a backup of the volume which was successful.  However doing a restore we were unable to do a file level restore...we could only see the volume that was backed up. And it was also compressed.  a 6TB volume compressed to about 3TB. Is there a way to see the files that were backed up to do a restore or will the whole volume need to be restored.  Or should we just go through straight windows for backups?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Because the encryption happens outside netbackup it doesnt have the encryption key to read the data, ndmp works because is a block level, i think u will need to restore the full system and later open it with the encryption key, at least the 3rd party vendor have a way of doing this.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

NDMP directory structure can normally be traversed in NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore GUI

Or should we just go through straight windows for backups?  

My experience is that method is very slow vs. NDMP

Will_Restore
Level 6

(netbackup path)/bin/bplist  -C (san_client)  -t 19  -R /

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Because the encryption happens outside netbackup it doesnt have the encryption key to read the data, ndmp works because is a block level, i think u will need to restore the full system and later open it with the encryption key, at least the 3rd party vendor have a way of doing this.