cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

barcode rule info

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6
  1. What is the use of barcode rule?
  2. If media is LTO2 and i assign it rule to be LTO3.Will it work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I have talked about changing the barcode length on your other thread.  It is controlled by the library, not NBU.

The barcode rule is a way to set media to be a particular density and go into a particulat volume pool.

If my media are :

AA0001L5

AA0002L5

I create a barcode rule

AA  > hcart3 > scratch

Thus, any barcodes starting (read from left to right) 'AA' will be put into NBU as hcart3 into scratch pool

If my LTO4 tapes are 

AB0001L4

AB0002L4

then this rule would work

AB > hcart2 > scratch  (all my LTO4 media would be hcart2)

If all my media LTO 4 and 5 have barcodes

AA0001L4

AA0002L4

AA0003L5

AA0004L5

... I would have a problem, I could not create a rule the matches only say LTO4

AA > hcart2 > scratch  

would match BOTH the LTO4 and 5 tapes.  I would have to do a lot of manual commands to move the LTO5s to hcart3

This is where design comes in, if you have mixed media, barcodes with only numbers are not good, as you cannt spilt the media to different types.

If you have mixed media you need mixed barcodes, AA, AB, AC etc for different tape types, in order to be able to easily create barcode rules.

Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

What is the use of barcode rule ?

Read this artical clear all doubt.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-use-barcode-rules-prevent-accidental-readwrite-...

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

This is for BE.I want for NBU

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

anybody has any idea regarding this?

NIKHIL234656595
Level 6

The barcode length supported will be dependent upon library types. For additional information, please see the "Robot Attributes" in Appendix A on page 271 of the "Media Manager System Administrato r's Guide"  NetBackup 5.0 for UNIX. For example, on Tape Linear Digital type robots "Barcodes can be from 1 to 16 characters in length."

I want to change the barcode length in NBU.From where I can?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I have talked about changing the barcode length on your other thread.  It is controlled by the library, not NBU.

The barcode rule is a way to set media to be a particular density and go into a particulat volume pool.

If my media are :

AA0001L5

AA0002L5

I create a barcode rule

AA  > hcart3 > scratch

Thus, any barcodes starting (read from left to right) 'AA' will be put into NBU as hcart3 into scratch pool

If my LTO4 tapes are 

AB0001L4

AB0002L4

then this rule would work

AB > hcart2 > scratch  (all my LTO4 media would be hcart2)

If all my media LTO 4 and 5 have barcodes

AA0001L4

AA0002L4

AA0003L5

AA0004L5

... I would have a problem, I could not create a rule the matches only say LTO4

AA > hcart2 > scratch  

would match BOTH the LTO4 and 5 tapes.  I would have to do a lot of manual commands to move the LTO5s to hcart3

This is where design comes in, if you have mixed media, barcodes with only numbers are not good, as you cannt spilt the media to different types.

If you have mixed media you need mixed barcodes, AA, AB, AC etc for different tape types, in order to be able to easily create barcode rules.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"NetBackup 5.0 for UNIX."

WHY are you looking at O-L-D NBU manuals?

We have at least 10 times given you URLs to newer manuals.

NBU 7.1 Documentation: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154178

NBU 7.5 Documentation: http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5138