cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best column layout for troubleshooting in activity monitor

thahif
Level 3

Hello Experts,

I am a beginner, prevoiusly i was working in different backup tool. I get confused when i troubleshoot failures in activity monitor. I am not sure what is the best view( like sort via end time or sort via policy etc)  to be selected while troubleshooting any backup failure.

Can some one help here.

Regards,

Thahif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

the most important thing to be looking at would be the job details for the specific failed jobs.

In which case probably best to look at filtering options? Filter by client for the failed job - sort by whatever method suits (policy, start time etc) as it may be that those failed jobs restarted & completed successfully under a different job id.

Job details, problems report & error logs (depending on which process actually failed) to actually troubleshoot the failure.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

falti_manullang
Level 5
Partner

How about use the sort option ? see the picture below.

Thanks,

Falti manullang

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

the most important thing to be looking at would be the job details for the specific failed jobs.

In which case probably best to look at filtering options? Filter by client for the failed job - sort by whatever method suits (policy, start time etc) as it may be that those failed jobs restarted & completed successfully under a different job id.

Job details, problems report & error logs (depending on which process actually failed) to actually troubleshoot the failure.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

When troubleshooting the backups of one server - first filter for only that client name.

Then sort by job id - this allows you see failures and successes in chronological order.

Where a job may have started 5 children at 10 pm... with 1 failure... then you might see above that the one child re-ran at 2 am and completed successfully.

thahif
Level 3

Thanks Andy..

thahif
Level 3

Thank you Falti

js88699
Level 5
Partner

My personal way to sort the act mon is State Asc, Status Desc, Job ID Desc.  I see active jobs at the very top, then all the errors are in reverse order near the top of the list.  The JobID keeps them in some sort of cronological order. This way the jobs that finish with status one or zero are pushed towards the bottom, as I don't need to work on those.  I also use filtering a lot to narrow down the number of jobs in the list as needed.

Bottom line is you need to find out what works best for you.  Try several different options and see what you like best, then stick with that.  I've been doing it this way for years, I would never say it's the best, it's just the best for me.

Good Luck

austin_lazanows
Level 4
Certified

I've always been particular to state ascending, end time descending (shows you what just completed last just below the currently active jobs), and active start time or status ascending after that. Again, this will be based on your preference. It gets even more particular to what you want when you determine where you want each column:).