cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpcd simply will not start on Windows 2003 SP1 Server clients

tortoise
Level 2
In the last 2 weeks, 2 of our clients have done something I haven't seen before. They both run client version 6.0 MP5, and everything worked fine until lately.
Although Netbackup Client Service is running, bpcd will not come up, neither will bpjava-msvc.exe or the other processes, vnetd etc. I even uninstalled the client, rebooted, installed the new client and rebooted - no improvement.
Netstat -an verifies that 13782 is not listening. I opened task manager|processes and watched for netbackup processes in the window while I restarted Netbackup Client Service. I could see bpjava-msvc.exe come up and then abort, if you blinked you would miss it. The client I really need to get working is a very healthy overbuilt SQL server with 8 GB physical memory free, so it is not a resource issue, not that NBU client is using much of anythign anyway.

Since it does not appear that another application has hold of any of the Netbackup default ports, e.g. 13782, I cannot figure out why the processes cannot come up and open their assigned ports. There are no firewalls between our master/media server and either of the two clients.

I looked pretty hard on the net and at Symantec for any signs of other people having this problem, but could not find anything. When I saw bpjava-msvc.exe come up and die right away, I wondered what was happening. I'd love to know what made it start unsuccessfully. I guess the client does not write failures of this type to the event log, as it shows nothing at all.

Are there any Windows gurus here who might point me in the right direction? I see netstat not even showing any of the ports the client should open, so I'm at a dead end. Is netstat the gospel when it comes to reporting on ports, or to better phrase the question, is there a way for me to find out why the ports cannot be opened?

This one really has me stumped.
2 REPLIES 2

dami
Level 5

I'm assuming windows 2003 boxes here ....

First step would be verbose 5 logs on the server and client (can be set from regedt32 HKeyLocalMachine-Software-Veritas-NetBackup-Currentversion-config) and create log folder bpcd (instalDIR\Veritas\NetBackup\Logs). Try to connect again and see if there is any further info.

Also look  at event viewer on the client - there should be a message in the applications and/or System logs corresponding to when this service (bpcd or bpjava-msvc) dies ...

Are you using local system account for Veritas services - if not check account permissions

Reverse IP Address lookups should also work between clients and master server (use bpclntcmd to test)

Are you using Host files ?

If you are getting nowhere, can you show us the client config settings from the registry editor ?

Cheers

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

uninstall - boot - reinstall - boot, this normaly fix all this kind of issues with windows.

let us know