cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpend in windows netbackup 6.5 is not executing a script inside

Linda_Duarte
Level 3
The bpend is not executing the hot_end.bat script, do you know if the  "start" command can be executed inside this script?  or how to do it?

set newDate=%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%-%date:~10%
set arg=TEST

start C:\oracle\Dba\scripts\TEST\hot_backup_scripts\hot_end.bat

type "c:\oracle\Dba\logs\TEST\hot_backup_logs\%arg%.%newDate%.log" >> "c:\oracle\Dba\logs\historial\historial_test_hotbackup.log"

10 REPLIES 10

Dimitris_Peppas
Level 4
do you want the hot_end.bat to run and then continue? If so, use call instead of start.

Linda_Duarte
Level 3
Hi Dimitris Peppas, and thank you for the support.

I changed the script to your suggeestion, but it still does'nt work.

cd C:\oracle\Dba\scripts\TEST\hot_backup_scripts\
call hot_end.cmd

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
if you have a bpend_notify script youwill get a bpend called file and a return code inside the file.
check and see if the bpend called file is even getting created.

( I know some jobs do NOT use them at all - like a hot catalog backup will not use a bpend file.)

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

bpend_notify only runs at the end of a bpbkar - no bpbkar runs during database agent jobs, so no bpend_notify gets executed.

Perhaps we're misunderstanding your question?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
CRZ, does the parent_end get called at the end of an Oracle job?

Linda, I had to work around the same issue.  I wanted a bpend when my Hot Catalogs finished, but it does not get called.

So I had to use the Parent_end_notify script and put in logic with if statements that if it was the Hot_Catalog policy and the daily schedule then do my stuff.

Will_Restore
Level 6

how about calling hot_end.bat at the end of your RMAN script?

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
For the begining, have you ever checked wheter bpend_notify itself was executed?
If not, check it by inserting some logging lines before the start(or call) line, like below.

-----
echo "%DATE% %TIME% " >> C:\bpend_notify.log
start C:\oracle\Dba\scripts\TEST\hot_backup_scripts\hot_end.bat
-----

Linda_Duarte
Level 3
Here are the feedback for all of you and hope you can get other ideas.  net stop and net start <service name>  functions but no call or start to batch files or command file names.

J.Hinchcliffe thank you - The bpend I think is called because the backup is done - see the log:

14:34:17 INF - Server status = 1
14:34:18 INF - Backup by oracle on client primadb using policy Windows-Servers-dbs, sched PMDBTEST:the requested operation was partially successful
And also the retuning "path" in the command prompt:  C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>

CRZ:  thank you for your Update:  The starting of the backup starts when after all tablespaces are in hot backup mode and called by C:\oracle\Dba\scripts\TEST\hot_backup_scripts\COLD_BACKUP.bat
COLD_BACKUP.bat has this inside:
set arg=TEST
C:
cd C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin
start bpbackup -p Windows-Servers-dbs -s %arg% -L c:\oracle\Dba\logs\TEST\hot_backup_logs\%arg%.%newDate%.log -f c:\oracle\Dba\lists\%arg%list.txt

wrobbins - thak you but no Rman plug in used, this is a simple hotbackup - put all tablespace in hot backup mode - transfer this to Veritas then it is supposed to vall the hot_end_backup which is not doing.

Yasuhisa Itoh - Thank you - I did what you instructed but no success.
In other databases I can do net stop <service name>  or net start service name but no start to a bathc file or command file name or call bathc file or call command file name.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I wrote bpstart_notify.bat as below, that works fine on my 6.5.4 client. bpstart_notify is called with same priviledge with NetBackup Client Service(SYSTEM, by default).

-----
@echo off
echo %DATE% %TIME% %CMDCMDLINE% >> C:\TEST\TEST.log
whoami >> C:\TEST\TEST.log
-----

To avoid spending time for troubleshooting, how about to rewrite your COLD_BACKUP.bat as follows:
hot_backup.bat will be called after sompletion of user backup.
-----
set arg=TEST
C:
cd C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin
bpbackup -w -p Windows-Servers-dbs -s %arg% -L c:\oracle\Dba\logs\TEST\hot_backup_logs\%arg%.%newDate%.log -f c:\oracle\Dba\lists\%arg%list.txt

C:\oracle\Dba\scripts\TEST\hot_backup_scripts\hot_end.bat
-----

Will_Restore
Level 6
"the requested operation was partially successful"
Have you checked whether your backups can be successfully restored?