cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpend_notify script execution problems

Level 2
Hello all,

I'm new to the discussion form so please let me know if I make any newbie blunders. Here is a summary of the problem I am having with my script.

I am trying to execute a vbs script using the bpend_notify.policyname.bat functionality in Netbackup (NBU) 5.1 MP4. Both the bpend_notify batch file and the VBS script being called are located in the Netbackup\bin directory on my client which also happens to be a Media Server. Based on some output from a bpbkar log file it appears that NBU is calling the bat file but the script is not executing.

Here is the bpbkar output showing the BAT file being called:

12:10:09.846 PM: <4> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - tar message received from dos_backup::notify
12:10:09.846 PM: <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - START C:\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bpend_notify.Enterprise_Vault.BAT

If I logon to the NBU media server (Windows 2003 EE SP1) using the NBU service account credentials and call the batch file manually the script executes normally.

Here are some details on the backup Policy / job:

The policy in question backs up a total of four directories. Two directories on one client and two directories on my Media Server. The policy uses multiple data streams and compression.

I have tried placing the bpend_notify script on one client and on both clients without sucess.

The VBS script is called from bpend_notify batch file with one line using the syntax shown below:

cscripte.exe scriptname.vbs -switch servername

Any assistance or ideas on how to further troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Pontillo
4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Did you tried to insert some logging code before calling cscript in .bat file?
If .bat is called and leave log right, there might be something wrong(runtime, options, ..) in executing cscript. Correct the output of cscript like below.

cscripte.exe scriptname.vbs -switch servername >your_log_file

h_m
Level 6
Try to get the script to launch from the scheduler tasks of windows.

This way you are not relying on running NetBackup all of the time to work out why your script is not triggering.

My adivce would be to: -

get the bpend_notify.policyname.bat acript to call a *.cmd script
add "cscripte.exe scriptname.vbs -switch servername" to the *.cmd file to launch the actual script

Run these test from the windows scsheduler function, then you should see what works, and then update bpend_notify.policyname.bat accordingly. Make sure to qualify absolute paths for the location of your scripts etc....

Level 2
Thanks for the help! It turned out to be a permissions problem accessing the remote server. I ended up using the backup_Exit_Notify script on the Master server.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Keep pin mind that the bpend_notify script will not work for jobs that fail before the bpbkar process starts ie status 96, 195 etc..