cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpimmedia - no entity found

Steve_O_Brien
Level 2
Hi,

I have a tape id that states there are valid images on the tape when executing bpmedialist -m . Yet when I attempt to view the images using bpimmedia -L -mediaid I received a message that "No entity was found"

>bpmedialist -m C03547

id rl images allocated last updated density kbytes restores
vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C03547 10 16 08/09/2005 10:06 08/09/2005 12:31 dlt 45129508 0
MPX INFINITY N/A FULL

bpimmedia -L -mediaid C03547
no entity was found

Has anyone seen this before and can explain why this happens to some tapes but not others?
4 REPLIES 4

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
HI,

It seems that this tape does not contain any images those have never expired.
vimages(unexpired images) is 0. Did you freeze this tape last year?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Steve,

Run the Media Contents Report
The Media Contents report shows the contents of a volume as read directly from the media header and backup headers. This report lists the backup IDs (not each individual file) that are on a single volume. It physically mounts the tape and reads all of the information directly from the tape. Then you will be able to know what is actually on it and perhaps determine if it is of value. Environments change, media servers sometimes are not decommissioned correctly, etc...
You can do it from the GUI or from the command line. Here's the syntax:
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpmedialist -U -mcontents Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Billy_Stricklan
Level 3
Another possibility is that you could be reaching the timeout on the query (default of 10 minutes.) See this technote for further information and how to adjust the timeout.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245644.htm

Steve_O_Brien
Level 2
Hello Bob,

Thanks so much for the info. I am doing quite an extensive audit (over 2000 tapes) and some are coming up fine and others are displaying this "No entity found" error.

Once I compile my list I will have the off site storage company return these tapes and go through them using the command you provided. That explains it alot.

I'm a first time user of the discussion forum and it was a pleasant experience. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve