cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bpstart/bpend_notify script and multistreaming (About Document ID: 323721)

mauog
Level 3
Hi all,
I read the Document ID: 323721 (seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/323721.htm) which gives some hints about how to build bpstar_notify and bpend_notify script which manage multistreaming.
I have some doubts about the sentence:
"the bpstart_notify could create touch files for these backup streams that are being generated when the client backup is running. The STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT, and STREAM_PID can be used as environment variables for these touch file names."
My understand is that bpstart_notify should create a file while it starts (using unix touch command). This file should be then characterised using STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT and STREAM_PID.
What I didn't get is what STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT and STREAM_PID are. Are they parameter which NetBackup pass to the bpstart_notify? Looking at bpstart_notify template located in /usr/open/netbackup/bin/goodies it seemed there are only 4 parameters passed by netbackup (CLIENTNAME POLICYNAME SCHEDNAME SCHEDTYPE).
So where and how can I get CLIENTNAME POLICYNAME SCHEDNAME SCHEDTYPE?

Please could you help me to understand how to create these scripts?

Thank You

Regards

Mauro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6
STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT and STREAM_PID are environment variables and not parameters to the script

See this old thread for example
 www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bpstartnotify-script

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
I have look at a old script and we are retrieving the variables like this in bpnotify_start

CLIENT=$1;
CLASS=$2; *
SCHED=$3;
SCHEDTYPE=$4;

* CLASS is the old name for a policy. I am sure it called something new today :D

I would guess both STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT and STREAM_PID are passed as variables. Try creating a dummy bpnotify_start script and then dump the variables with "set" into a text file.

**** UPDATE ****

Look at this example : http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/submitted/snapshot_zfs.jsp

# Parameters passed are:
CLIENTNAME="$1"
POLICYNAME="$2"
SCHEDNAME="$3"
SCHEDTYPE="$4"

Will_Restore
Level 6
STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT and STREAM_PID are environment variables and not parameters to the script

See this old thread for example
 www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/bpstartnotify-script