cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing the vmware backup host via command

Gabriel-A
Level 3

Hi all

i would like to change the configuration of many vmware policies in netbackup via the command line interface. the desired change is the vmware backup host, i need to change the host, however being many, it would take a lot of time to use the console.

i have reviewed the bpplinfo command but did not find any attribute for exactly the vmware backup host.

any ideas are welcome.

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi

You should be able to use the (undocumented) -alt_client_name parameter to update the backup host (set to the new host you want to use or MEDIA_SERVER if you want to use any available - the equivalent of the default 'Backup Media Server' in the drop down).

So the command would be something like:
bpplinfo <policy> -modify -alt_cleint_name <new vmware backup host>

It works on my 8.3 test system and I think I have used this before on older versions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi

You should be able to use the (undocumented) -alt_client_name parameter to update the backup host (set to the new host you want to use or MEDIA_SERVER if you want to use any available - the equivalent of the default 'Backup Media Server' in the drop down).

So the command would be something like:
bpplinfo <policy> -modify -alt_cleint_name <new vmware backup host>

It works on my 8.3 test system and I think I have used this before on older versions.

Good Morning David,

thank you very much for your quick response.

i have been looking for info exactly for the same argument ACN/alternative client name because i found that the vallue corresponds:

PS D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd> .\bpplinfo.exe $policyname -l
INFO 40 0 0 0 *NULL* 0 0 2147483647 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1381850068 932327A29BFF47C8ACE642652426A064 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 1 15 1 3 0 28800000 0 1 1 0 0
KEY vmware
BCMD *NULL*
RCMD *NULL*
RES slp-fr2-ld2rd______-s-rt31d-03 *NULL* *NULL* *NULL* *NULL* *NULL* *NULL* *NULL* *NULL* *NULL*
POOL NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup
FOE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
SHAREGROUP Any
DATACLASSIFICATION *NULL*
ACN xxxxxxxxx
SSM VMware_v2
SSMARGCOUNT 16

Alternate Client Name: xxxxxxxx

i have tried to run the command you suggested but the following error is shown:

.\bpplinfo.exe $policyname -modify -alt_cleint_name $vmwarebackuphost

noticed there is a typo in the -alt_cleint_name part

Using the correct way the command:

.\bpplinfo.exe $policyname -modify -alt_client_name $vmwarebackuphost