cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy catalog to new server

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Hi,

I'm planning to install 6.5.1 on brand new master server and media servers and I would like to copy catalog from 6.0. Is there any strategies available? Please share your experience.

Data: I have NB 6.0MP5, Win2003, target is NB 6.5.1, Win2003, Catalog size ~90Gb

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

For Master server, make sure you install 6.0 MP5 on new server and perform a catalog recovery before upgrading to 6.5.

Due to changes in the structure of the NetBackup catalog, it is not possible to restore a NetBackup catalog from a more recent NetBackup Maintenance Pack (such as NetBackup 6.0 MP2) to an earlier version of NetBackup (such as NetBackup 6.0 MP1).  

To resolve this issue, remove the more recent NetBackup Maintenance Pack, reinstall the older NetBackup Maintenance Pack, and recover the catalog.  After successfully restoring the catalog, then upgrade the server to the desired NetBackup Maintenance Pack.  Please be sure all graphical user interfaces (GUIs) are closed before starting the patch process.  

Following flow chart in addition to Admin and troubleshooting guide for catalog recover will be helpful.

You do not need to do anything for media server, since all of the media related information is now stored in EMM db. Just install new media server and add it to master.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Thanks for quick response Rakesh!

You wrote that it is not possible to restore catalog from more recent to earlier version of NB. But 6.5.1 more recent version right, Are you sure I can't restore 6.0 MP5 catalog directly to 6.5.1?

Thanks!

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6
Since I haven't performed such recovery, I am not 100% sure....

You may be able to do it but given there's been some known issues in recovering older version of catalog on new version, you may have to perform extensive testing to make sure that recovery to 6.5.1 was successful. Since, Catalog is the heart and soul of NetBackup, I would prefer to be on safer side and perform recovery on same version and then perform upgrade. Believe me upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 is very straight forward and would take less than half of the time you may spend in recovering, testing and troubleshooting 6.0 catalog on 6.5.

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
Yes, you are right. It is always better to go easier way!

Thank you!