cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deactivated policy - scripted backups

itcsge
Level 3

I'm in the process of getting a sandpit configured so i can test questions like this myself as we can't run backups during the day...

I have a scripted backup that will run a backup based on some validation checks but others want the policy disabled. are there any gotchas here. It appears that you can run a manual backup against a deactivated policy - can you do the same for bpbackup -i [-p policy]  [-h  host-name] backups? tia, G.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

A policy must have a schedule.
This is what determines if Full or Inc backup must run and which Retention Level.
So, if you have Full and Inc in the same policy, add -sched <schedule-name> to bpbackup command.

I would personally choose Frequency option without any open windows.
(Not that it really matters, as long as there are no open windows.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

bpbackup -i [-p policy] is the same as running a manual backup for a policy, but it will fail if policy is deactivated.

If you do not want it to run automatically and only run from the script, simply ensure that all automatic type schedules (Full and Inc) do not have open backup windows.

Hope this helps.

itcsge
Level 3

great stuff - thats what i suspected but couldn't test (til i get the sandpit that is). So is the best way to do this - is to set scheduled type to calendar but not make any changes to the calendar schedule tab that gets displayed? or alternatively not creating any schedules?

Marianne
Level 6

A policy must have a schedule.
This is what determines if Full or Inc backup must run and which Retention Level.
So, if you have Full and Inc in the same policy, add -sched <schedule-name> to bpbackup command.

I would personally choose Frequency option without any open windows.
(Not that it really matters, as long as there are no open windows.)

itcsge
Level 3

excellent many thanks!