cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate from oold media

guilhemlflo
Level 4

Hi,

i need to duplicate old LTO4 backup to LTO6.

some of my backups were done via a media server that no longer exists.

and when I want to make the duplication, I have the error "Lack of connection detected media is currently not connected to master" is it possible to duplicate when the media server no longer exists?

is it possible to duplicate without my old media server ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sujay24
Level 4
Employee

Hi Guil

Run below command to decommission the media server:-

<install path>\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdecommission -oldserver <old media server which needs to be decommissioned> -newserver <master server name or new media server were tape library is connected>

Above command will move all the images to new server and restore should work fine and also duplication should work fine.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You will firstly need to transfer ownership of all media and images to another media server.
Use this command:

bpimage -oldserver <old_media_server> -newserver <new_media_server>

If you are going to use the LTO6 drives to read the LTO4 tapes, you need to change the density of one or more tape drive (depending on amount of available tape drives and the amount that you want to dedicate as 'read' drives).

Example : If the LTO4 media is configured in NBU as hcart, you need to change at least one LTO6 drive to hcart.
NBU will not mount a tape if the media and drive densities do not match.

thanks for the answer.

indeed, I've already changed the density of LTO6 drives.

On the other hand, what is the impact of the "bpimage"? could I still restore the data as needed?

there is any impact on my backup ?

Thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per my explanation in the previous post: 

bpimage transfers ownership of all media and images to another media server.

It has no effect on backups. It simply updates NBU image database.
This will actually enable you to restore from those tapes.
If you don't change ownership, the restore request will fail as the media and image owner no longer exists.

The duplication will affect backups as a minimum of 2 drives are required for duplication read and write process.

PS: you may want to look up process to decommission a media server. Seems it was not done here.

indeed i need to decommission some media server. I think I can find that oninternet right?

Sujay24
Level 4
Employee

Hi Guil

Run below command to decommission the media server:-

<install path>\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbdecommission -oldserver <old media server which needs to be decommissioned> -newserver <master server name or new media server were tape library is connected>

Above command will move all the images to new server and restore should work fine and also duplication should work fine.

Genericus
   VIP   

I moved from LTO2 to LTO5 a few years ago, and I "borrowed" about 20TB of thin provisioned disk from my SAN team and wrote data to the disk, and then from the disk to tape. I am going to have the same issue soon - moving to LTO7 or T10K drives.

PRO - needs less drives - you could use the same drive by changing the HCART type. I also was able to consolidate some like backups, so I gain more tapes, no more tapes waiting for that last backup to expire. I was able to "reset" the copy number, for some reason I had copies numbers from 1-4, I was able to make the disk copy 1, and the new tape copy 2.

CON - "Space the final frontier" is not just a Star Trek slogan - sometimes you cannot get disk space for love or money. I was lucky to get some and return it.

BTW - I read in several thousand LTO2 tapes, using my DR robot (it is just sitting there, after all) many had been sitting at Iron Mountain for years - and only had one failure. Keep track, I would be interested to hear what your failure rate is.

I would definitly recommend you define some decent scripting. I found that running the bpduplicate from the command line was the way to go - but you have to watch it, because jobs fail!

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

thanks all for your information!